Technical fiat 500 TwinAir Oil Cooler replacement - seeping oil (2012 0.9)

Currently reading:
Technical fiat 500 TwinAir Oil Cooler replacement - seeping oil (2012 0.9)

Poze123

**2012 0.9L TwinAir model**

Hello all
My Oil cooler (includes the oil filter housing) appears to be dripping oil from the bottom -- its hard to see, but I do see a big drip on the bottom.

The oil then drips down and drops onto the starter motor, then drops on to the drive shaft and sprays everywhere - but does appear to start from the bottom of the Cooler.

I have ordered a seal kit from Fiat, but cant find anything online about replacing it (other than the basic process in the manual for the Diesel mode).

Question --- Anyone done this repair/got any tips, or links to the process for this precise TwinAir model? I see the Torques are light, some 9NM.

I just want to see if i have to drain the oil/Coolant/new filter etc, all of which are under 1000 miles of use. Just suss the process, so I can get it done quickly and correctly - as its a car we use for work.

Thanks all

I can remember someone doing this a few years ago, expect to replace both water and oil if you're replacing it might get away with just some oil loss if re sealing it, don't over tighten it!
Make sure you're using the exact spec of oil.

Are you sure it's a leak through a hole, rather than a leak through a leak?

My old Alfa 145 had a heat exchanger under the oil filter and once I did see an oil leak from there. It turned out that the oil filter was slightly loose, and giving it an extra half a turn by hand made the leak go away for good. I dunno the layout on the TA but yours may be the same issue.

If you have to remove the heat exchanger, coolant will certainly come out. You can save the coolant, if it's brand new, by catching it in an old washing up bowl (don't use the missus' regular washing up bowl, since antifreeze is spectacularly toxic) and then re-adding it to the system once you're done. If you have any bits in there, be careful to decant the clean coolant so you leave the pieces in the bowl. Years of drinking port makes this easier.... but if your hands are shaky, just stick a clean cloth over the filler neck to act as a filter.

Oil loss may not be much but don't try to re-use any of that. Cooling system is able to deal with small pieces of debris but the various moving parts, bearings etc. not so much.

Ralf S.

Back