Technical Fiat 500 air con pump O ring size

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 air con pump O ring size

Zebravanman

I have had my air con re gassed and this morning noticed its leaking on top of the pump where the pipe bolts onto it. I need to get it de pressurized tomorrow but was wondering what size it the o ring in there.

Attachments

• 20200902_102656.jpg
    20200902_102656.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
No it's not a spill, I was there when he filled it. I don't know the last time it was used or even pressurized. All will be revealed tomorrow

Disappointing thast the leak was not spotted by the 'technician'. Normal procedure with a proper regas, is to evacuate the system and see if the vacuum holds. If OK, then to regas. If not OK, or good practice anyway, is to inject some UV dye and repressurise. All joints are then scanned with a UV light to identify leaks.

I have a feeling that the O=rings are a standard size, or only a few choices, so a good aircon speicalist will probably have a box of them. Ask first, see what they say.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/e.../air-con/halfords-air-con-o-rings-187396.html

Last edited:
Yes he did all that I watched him. The system held vacuum and the machine said no leaks, therefore he proceeded with the regas. Its seemed to have happened over night as there were no leaks last night and cold air. I'm not blaming the chap who did it he was quite thorough. It's just one of those things I suppose, see attached photo of my condensor no surprise there's not more than one problem.

Attachments

• 20200823_184951.jpg
    20200823_184951.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 42
Yes it came out like that, I didnt spot it when I bought it otherwise I'd ask for more money off. Anyway here is the o ring.

Attachments

• 20200902_180812.jpg
    20200902_180812.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200902_180557.jpg
    20200902_180557.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
Wow!! Did it come out like that or did teeth come out when removing?
I had my condenser swapped back in January when I noticed lots & lots of big dents!

This is typical of a 500 condenser that's seen more than a couple of UK winters, and another example of poor Fiat OEM parts quality.

Take a close look at any 500 or Panda with A/C that's more than 3-4 years old and you'll find much the same thing has happened. Interestingly they still seem to function well even with most of the fins missing; generally there's no need to actually replace the condenser unless leaking.

My 10 yr old Panda has practically no fins left at all, but the A/C still cools strongly, and it's never been regassed.

If you look closely at an older 500, also pay attention to the state of the rear beam and springs, the brakes, hatch wiring, door handles, sump, suspension, and probably a few other bits that I've forgotten. It makes me wonder why they make the money they do; there's no logic to it.

Last edited:
I’m amazed they actually still work looking like that ! I guess it’s because they are at the front of the car? Stones from the road ect.. hopefully it is just the seal that needs replacing

I’m amazed they actually still work looking like that ! I guess it’s because they are at the front of the car? Stones from the road ect.. hopefully it is just the seal that needs replacing

No stones are needed.

Those aluminium fins are barely thicker than a sheet of heavy duty Bacofoil. Spray them with salty water a few times each winter and they'll turn to dust sooner than you might think.

Some more photos for fun.....italian quality

Attachments

• 20200823_185004.jpg
    20200823_185004.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200823_165031.jpg
    20200823_165031.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200823_164404.jpg
    20200823_164404.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20200822_124322.jpg
    20200822_124322.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
Have you just released all your gas? Or was it professionally evacuated?
Now it is open to atmosphere, air will get in, carrying normal airborne moisture, so the recommendation will be to replace the receiver/dryer. Don't leave it open for long, or corrosion may set in inside.

Before the recent regas, had it been inoperative for a while? Without the gas circulating, carrying the lubricant with it, the seals dry out and shrink. Possibly they swelled immediately on regas, then failed. If this is the scenario, ideally need to replace the full set. Two at the pump, two at the condenser, and two at the evaporator. Possibly two more at the receiver/dryer, wherever that is. (Not really bothered to look for mine)

If you had it evacuated professionally, that should save you money, as well as the environment, as you should only need to pay for the 'top-up'.

Might be an idea to inspect the pump carefully, changing it now costs, but cheaper than it failing in a month or so.

Have you just released all your gas? Or was it professionally evacuated?
Now it is open to atmosphere, air will get in, carrying normal airborne moisture, so the recommendation will be to replace the receiver/dryer. Don't leave it open for long, or corrosion may set in inside.

Before the recent regas, had it been inoperative for a while? Without the gas circulating, carrying the lubricant with it, the seals dry out and shrink. Possibly they swelled immediately on regas, then failed. If this is the scenario, ideally need to replace the full set. Two at the pump, two at the condenser, and two at the evaporator. Possibly two more at the receiver/dryer, wherever that is. (Not really bothered to look for mine)

If you had it evacuated professionally, that should save you money, as well as the environment, as you should only need to pay for the 'top-up'.

Might be an idea to inspect the pump carefully, changing it now costs, but cheaper than it failing in a month or so.

I think the dryere is part of the condenser on a lot of systems these days

Back