Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

Not sure what you mean ^
This clip was in the pad securing pin. I've fitted normal R clips but they are to long and touch the caliper body so I had to cut them down a bit, the R clips everyone seems to sell don't look any smaller. :unsure:

Not sure what you mean ^
This clip was in the pad securing pin. I've fitted normal R clips but they are to long and touch the caliper body so I had to cut them down a bit, the R clips everyone seems to sell don't look any smaller. :unsure:
Type this into ebay..

BPF1273H​

Same as yours..

Same clip?

Image of what I described here..

Clip has a Red Arrow pointing it out 😉

Last edited:
The top has the sliding bolt pin. The bottom of the caliper slides on a long pin. The small r type clips hold one end of the long pin in, then it taps out and you can swivel the caliper up.

You got there before me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003_202725_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_202725_eBay.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 32
This is one of the clips I took off the caliper. I can't find any to match it.
View attachment 430734
Nope, I never seen one like that. On reflection, are you sure it's not a broken and reshaped bit of "R" clip? Looks very likely to me? If so a fitting kit complete with pins, spring covers and R clips are to be had for just a few quid at most factors and on line.

Could you post a picture of the caliper where the pin fits?

Edit. Charlie and John20 - man you're quick! I didn't even have time to look in Big Red's site to find it!

Nope, I never seen one like that. On reflection, are you sure it's not a broken and reshaped bit of "R" clip? Looks very likely to me? If so a fitting kit complete with pins, spring covers and R clips are to be had for just a few quid at most factors and on line.

Could you post a picture of the caliper where the pin fits?

Edit. Charlie and John20 - man you're quick! I didn't even have time to look in Big Red's site to find it!

The Twisted hoop is typical of 80 /90 era FIAT

@porta will hopefully recall all if this

Is your white panda on R clips Jock?

My 2004 probably was.. But cannot recall my 1986 FIRE _ probably those 'twisted hoops'

My 2004 probably was.. But cannot recall my 1986 FIRE and a.. probably those 'twisted hoops'
Yup, R clips all the way! First time I did her brakes one of them was siezed and snapped off so I just fitted a complete kit on rebuild - which is why I know they are readily available and cheap! Ahhh! Now I just remembered, Felicity's calipers had two wedges, one each top and bottom which were retained by small wire clips of much the same size but different shape to those our OP shows in the picture. They fitted in holes in the wedges. Maybe it's got this sort of caliper? They required constant attention to stop them rusting and seizing up.

My 2004 probably was.. But cannot recall my 1986 FIRE _ probably those 'twisted hoops'
Yes, R clips to back and front, sliding wedges top n bottom of calipers, on some, or a raised bit to front of wedges and R clip to rear so that it wedge didn’t come off calliper…simple, easy and fitted in seconds

Yup, R clips all the way! First time I did her brakes one of them was siezed and snapped off so I just fitted a complete kit on rebuild - which is why I know they are readily available and cheap! Ahhh! Now I just remembered, Felicity's calipers had two wedges, one each top and bottom which were retained by small wire clips of much the same size but different shape to those our OP shows in the picture. They fitted in holes in the wedges. Maybe it's got this sort of caliper? They required constant attention to stop them rusting and seizing up.
That's what I tried describing yesterday.. 🤔

Funny how this stuff comes around again isn't it.. 🙂

I've just ordered a set of pins, clips and the stainless steel shims from Bigg Red (y)
Looks like someone put old skool pin clips on and the R clips I had in the garage are just a bit too long. I'll get a photo of the calipers next time I have the wheels off!
Now to sort out the rubbery crunchy squeak coming from the rear offside wheel...
Good job the boy hasn't passed his test yet :ROFLMAO:

I've just remembered this to ask you guys, are the brakes on these 500's a bit err well crap as standard?
The two that I've driven the brakes felt quite weak needing a really good stomp to stop, the other day I try to set off the ABS but couldn't!
(y)

Brakes are quite good, your symptoms are typical of rear shoes not adjusted correctly, if you've not had them apart then the auto adjusters might be stuck, or if its been apart and or the handbrake cable has been replaced then some adjusting is required.
Rack the auto adjuster round putting the hub on and off checking free play whilst also pressing the brake pedal, only once correct adjust the handbrake cable such that it just starts to drag at 1 click fully on at 5.
The other could be new fluid needed and or bleeding?

unprimed porous cast iron, powder coating and the UK weather aren't the ideal combination.

If you buy unpainted aftermarket drums, degrease, mask off the braking surface, and spray with a paint system starting with an acid etch primer, this won't happen.

Or just accept that you'll be changing the rear drums due to corrosion after 8-10 years or so (if they haven't worn out by then).

Last edited:
Been there I hope you can get the drums off without breaking something not as easy as you might think our 7 years ago

Attachments

• 20160527_110232.jpg
    20160527_110232.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20160527_110649.jpg
    20160527_110649.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20160527_112859.jpg
    20160527_112859.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20160608_164119.jpg
    20160608_164119.jpg