Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

It's really just cosmetic, so depends on what wheels you have.
Also depends on where you llive too, all that salty air by the coast helps them on their way.

Been there I hope you can get the drums off without breaking something not as easy as you might think our 7 years ago
Becky's looked slightly better at 7 years old when I first stripped them around 5 years ago. The biggest problem was caused by the wear lip inside the drum, even with the cables backed right off it was still a major struggle. We got an advisory on the back axle this year so maybe it'll be a fail at the next MOT. If so I'll be doing a rear brake overhaul when the new axle goes in and she's well overdue for a couple of drums.

The drums are hardly worn and are genuine Fiat ones so I'll put them in my blast cabinet, clean them and see how they look. The shoes have 4mm left so I think I'll just take it all apart and clean lube and adjust everything and see how it goes.

Becky's looked slightly better at 7 years old when I first stripped them around 5 years ago. The biggest problem was caused by the wear lip inside the drum, even with the cables backed right off it was still a major struggle. We got an advisory on the back axle this year so maybe it'll be a fail at the next MOT. If so I'll be doing a rear brake overhaul when the new axle goes in and she's well overdue for a couple of drums.
The lip is the issue, backing off the hand brake won't make any difference, its the auto adjusters that keep the shoes the distance they are, its the lack of a small cover to rack the adjuster either way that's the issue that you'd typically find on a Japanese car.

It's been a while and more work has been done.
The brakes have been sorted, the squeaky noise was just a strip of paint from the drum scraping along the back plate! Stripped and cleaned as they were very dirty inside.The brakes seem a lot better now.
The car has done about 800 miles since fitting the new timing belt, oil & filters, water pump etc and is still sounding good...
A wet passenger footwell was a split rear washer pipe that was a PITA to fix as its ribbed.
Then I get a call it won't start, the AA got it jumped and home but I found this...
PXL_20240130_173350752.jpg
I repaired it with a length of 25mm multicore flex,
PXL_20240130_161934807.jpg
All good now :)

It's been a while and more work has been done.
The brakes have been sorted, the squeaky noise was just a strip of paint from the drum scraping along the back plate! Stripped and cleaned as they were very dirty inside.The brakes seem a lot better now.
The car has done about 800 miles since fitting the new timing belt, oil & filters, water pump etc and is still sounding good...
A wet passenger footwell was a split rear washer pipe that was a PITA to fix as its ribbed.
Then I get a call it won't start, the AA got it jumped and home but I found this...
View attachment 437557
I repaired it with a length of 25mm multicore flex,
View attachment 437556
All good now :)
Earth lead gearbox to chassis?

have you used something like a mechanics stethascope to PINPOINT the noise exactly !!?
Are you certain that the belt pully/tensioner is sound!?.
if everything else is ok, whilst you have it all apart then id put a new oil pump in anyway just for piece of mind!, to be honest a new water pump is not so expensive so id do that(again?) as well! just in case the replacement one is faulty! however i would be surprised if the stethascope did not pin it down!!

Im accepting its the oil pump as you are clearly experienced, but have nver had an oil pump make a noise in a huge amount ot driving, In my youth my STarsky style driving means I wrecked all the cars I touched for many years too. The only oil pump I ever had trouble with, was one on a so called recon engine. It was just unable to get the pressure up. But no noise. I believe water pumps have different sized impellers. God only knows why! Noise from the pump suggests debris which is alarming.

Ive been looking at Haynes re oil pump and it has only one thing to say that may be relevant and thats a new pump should be primed so amy be it has drained out and failed to re prime? It seems unlikely. I also wonder what the oil pickup to sump clearance is. MAybe you have in fact bent the sump just enough to cause these to touch but not enough for it to show, One thing is clear, if the oil pump is noisy something needs to be done immediately. Overall I agree its more likely to be belt /tensioner related. Haynes says you can change the oil pump without removing the engine but its a pretty horrid job after just doing teh belt.

I would definitely consider running flushing oil through that.
This is always a controversial subject, but many folks consider that using a flushing oil can do more harm than good. From memory Fiat don't recommend using one (and IIRC doing so invalidates any Fiat warranty, not that that's an issue here).

Another option is to just do another oil & filter change in 1000 miles or so - this is what I would do in this case.

This is always a controversial subject, but many folks consider that using a flushing oil can do more harm than good. From memory Fiat don't recommend using one (and IIRC doing so invalidates any Fiat warranty, not that that's an issue here).

Another option is to just do another oil & filter change in 1000 miles or so - this is what I would do in this case.
Yup, even way back in the eighties we were taught to flush engines with just fresh oil, then put new filters in and renew oil, never with a propiatryengine flush …only ever remember doing it on the 1800 and 2000 engines from 131 and 132 to the tipos and coupes

Back