Technical Faulty steering wheel controls - video included

Currently reading:
Technical Faulty steering wheel controls - video included

Brilliant guys. So primary methods is align flat blade on outside of thin bar and twist. I need a better screwdriver. Thank you!!

Incidentally guys, assuming I don't find anything, is a clockspring expensive?

I'm not sure if it only comes with switch stalks unit from dealer, if so about £200 (give or take £50) at a guess.

You might get used, but it needs to come from a Panda with the same steering controls and you need to be certain the clock spring has been secured 'centrally' when removed so that it isn't out by even a turn when refitted. Wen new they have a plastic securing tab which has to be pulled off once fitted. Unfortunately the clock spring I have isn't for steering controls (n)

£200. ********. Lets hope I find a loose wire although I doubt ill be so lucky.

Well, I ran out of time and had to go see mum in hospital so went out in it and ill be buggered if it ain't stopped doing it. I had disconnected the battery so maybe it reset something but it didn't jump tracks or stations once. Really weird.

I'm still gonna pull the bag to see what's happening but I must have dislodged something. It's worth noting I
Getting no strange noises when turning the wheel

Absolutley bizarre especially how it chamges source when there's no source button?

Well, it's got interesting.

So, I couldn't be arsed to fit a new clockspring so pulled the stereo and unplugged the steering wheel controls. This killed the phone as well so I fitted a Denison bluetooth adaptor.

I fiddled about with different configurations and eventually had it working how I liked. The steering wheel controls no longer worked but they didn't mess about with the stations.

Then, the other day, I got a call on my phone. so I answered via the Denison and spoke for about a minute.

Then pop!. Stereo, aircon, clock all went out. Weird.

Sourced the relevant fuse and replaced it. Went to drive off and it went pop again. Turns out it's blowing the fuse when the steering wheel is in th same position it was messing about with the stereo.

So now completely unplug the denison and the steering wheel controls from the stereo (just leaving power and speakers)... still blows the fuse.

So then unplug the steering wheel, killing the controls and horn and triggering the airbag light, seems ok... So, plug it back in, again seems ok.

Do one trip fine. Do another journey

POP

So, time for a new clockspring. Really suprised by this developement as I has the clockspring down as being something quite passive in the grand scheme of things, but there must be a pretty nasty short in there.

This cars getting expensive now :(

Mook

I'd take clockspring out and take a good look at it, take it apart maybe before u spend money on the new one, there might be a simple (cable caught and shortening out) explanation. Worth a look if it might save u money if u still cant fix it u ll have to buy new one anyway. Also check 100hp breaking and ring them up. Might get 2nd hand clockspring half price.

I've emailed a few of the ebay panda's being broken and they never have them. I'll keep looking. Trouble is, if I pull the srping I need to have another to hand to fit as it's ballache removing and refitting the steering wheel. I reckon one of the tracks has burned out and gone short, given the hassle I've had i think, like my dodgy waterpump, I'll just get a new one and be done with it.

Clock spring shouldn't be stripped down, it's a sealed unit for a reason. Equally you should have got this changed when it originally diagnosed as fault, you're extremely lucky that airbag hasn't gone off in your face and that it's currently only popping fuses and only seems to be the steering audio controls currently affected.

Clock spring shouldn't be stripped down, it's a sealed unit for a reason. Equally you should have got this changed when it originally diagnosed as fault, you're extremely lucky that airbag hasn't gone off in your face and that it's currently only popping fuses and only seems to be the steering audio controls currently affected.

The airbag would throw a warning lamp long before it detontated, I had no fear of that.

The airbag would throw a warning lamp long before it detontated, I had no fear of that.

You want to bet! If you have a crash and it's due to detonate it doesn't hang about and give you a warning. Had the airbag connections within the clock spring shorted that bad boy would have gone off! I know myself of this happening to a friend, ignored it all and the next thing, went around a corner and boom!

Can anyone confirm the clockspring and the indicator/wiper stalks are all one unit? Haynes manual isn't clear and describes them seperatly.

Back