Technical Fan belt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Fan belt replacement

MLW

This car is still on its original fan (serpentine ) belt. Thinking of changing it soon.

1. Does it have a release tensioner?
2. Can it be done from above.
The car does not have air con.
Probably use a Continental belt as they are good quality.

Can be done from above

Pretty sure I have done this without taking the lower plastic shields. Although it might have been a vehicle where they were missing

Worst case you have to take the front wheel off. But you don't have to crawl under the car

I use a plank of wood to push the alternator back to get enough tension. Don't go too mad otherwise you overload the alternator bearing

Mine has air con but that tensioner spring is VERY strong. I had to lock two ring/open spanners together to get adequate leverage. You simply can't do that from above and there's not enough space to use a socket. Just go in from the side. Removing the wheel arch liners is a pain but you'll get to replace any rusted screws. You'll thank yourself later for having done that.

Can be done from above

Pretty sure I have done this without taking the lower plastic shields. Although it might have been a vehicle where they were missing

Worst case you have to take the front wheel off. But you don't have to crawl under the car

I use a plank of wood to push the alternator back to get enough tension. Don't go too mad otherwise you overload the alternator bearing

Non-aircon definitely easier from above and no knackered screws to remove. Aircon models from the side. 100hp from the side, but requires extra plasters and bigger vocabulary.
I could be remembering wrong, but on the "modified" version of the early Panda engine (2005/6 on) you have to slacken the crank sensor as it fouls the belt when removing/refitting. Don't think it does on the earlier version. Still easy job though.

My JTD has no aircon and a serpentine belt tensioner that looks like the one used on 1.2 and 1.4. I fitted the belt before the engine went back into the car and had to use linked spanners to shift the tensioning spring. Breaker bar and socket just flipped themselves off the tensioner arm. It's now back in the car and looks "doable" from the top but I would hate to try it that way.

When I did the Punto HGT (1750 twin cam with even worse access) the only way to move the tensioner was again linked spanners with a jack acting as third hand under the spanner end.

UPDATE
Serviced the car today and inspected the fan belt which had 52K on it. It looked almost new. This fan belt has to be the smallest I have ever seen. It goes around the crank and only to the alternator. You can do it from the top, as with no air-con ity is a slip off job. Just 3 bolts.
At £8.50p for a Continental belt is is pretty cheap. Might change it next time.
P1050663.JPG

Back