General Rear sub frame replacement query…

Currently reading:
General Rear sub frame replacement query…

YorkshireFiat

My 08 panda Multijet suffers with rust, and part of the rear subframe has snapped.

I’m willing to take on the job myself, but would appreciate knowing what to expect in terms of time & difficulty… and any top tips?!

Thanks in advance.

and any top tips
If you're doing it yourself, time and frustration will be your biggest investment.

A four post lift, good quality impact sockets and air tools would all help, but it's been done without any of these.

Corrosion is going to be your biggest enemy. Some parts might be better replaced than removed. Fortunately most are cheap enough.

Expect to have to replace the brake lines.

As above, stuck fasteners will probably figure in the job somewhere. Or possibly everywhere.
Can be done on axle stands.
I use a tilting lift nowadays, but I do a few every year, so was a worthwhile purchase.
I usually end up cutting the brake pipes forward of the flexi hoses, as they rarely come undone. Fortunately there's an easy joint under the car which seems to always be OK.

I take off the whole thing as a unit (3 bolts each side) and then break it down on a bench (although I usually have a ready-built-up one to swap over using refurbished or renewed parts from a previous swap)

Wire brush the 4 flange mounting stud threads and use PlusGas or similar. Wind the nuts off carefully (some studs may wind out instead). I renew any studs and/or nuts which were a struggle.

The hard lines from the slave cylinders can usually be saved by holding the nuts and winding off the (cut) flexi pipes, which is good if you're retaining the existing wheel cylinders.

You will need to save the plastic brake pipe clips, or replace them. They are quite hard to find, but there are similar ones available if needed.

Not a bad job, unless it really fights back.

Did this job a few months ago following an MOT failure. Best background prep before tackling it came from YT here. I did end up replacing most of the brake components (drums, shoes, cylinders) but the shocks and springs were fine. I ordered new brake pipes in case there was a problem, but in fact they came off easily with a decent brake spanner. I left the flexibles to the rear subframe in situ (as per video).

Corrosion is going to be your biggest enemy. Some parts might be better replaced than removed. Fortunately most are cheap enough.

Expect to have to replace the brake lines.
I rebuilt the rear brakes entirely about 3 years ago, and re-made the rear rigid brake pipes out of copper at the time. I also took the trouble to source brass union nuts at the time, so I'm hopeful the brake lines will come apart like a dream...! :)

As above, stuck fasteners will probably figure in the job somewhere. Or possibly everywhere.
I've no doubt! When I did the rear brakes (above) it was a catalogue of disintegrating bits of car... fortunately I don't have time pressure to get it done.

Many thanks for the input all. :)

Back