Technical Exhausts

Currently reading:
Technical Exhausts

Hi all

My exhaust snapped on the way home yesterday. I've not been out and looked at it properly yet but in the dark last night I could see the end of it rocking up and down so I think it has snapped near the back. If I need a new exhaust can anyone advise me how to go about it? Do I go direct to an exhaust company or go through my local garage?

Also there has been lots of recommendations in different threads over the last couple of years for different makes of exhaust. Is there a consensus of opinion on the best one to go for? The car is a Mk2.

Thanks
xs

Hi Shel,
It will have broken just in front of the middle box. Its where they all go. Mine did it a while ago. The middle box costs over £300 from FIAT plus fitting. None of the Kwik Fit type places carry anything for the Barchetta.
I had a powerflow exhaust made. Its stainless steel and guaranteed for the life of the car. The technician even asked me how I would like the car to sound! It sounds Italian! The cost was just under £400 for a complete cat-back system, but with my NHS discount this came dowwn to £320. PM me if you need more info.
Cheers

John (spiderboy)

Hi Shel,

My local Kwik Fit DID have a Barchetta exhaust in stock strangely. I had a Longlife Stainless Steel exhaust fitted for £360 after a haggle. The Fiat one was almost as expensive so there was no contest. They can tailor the noise of the exhaust for you - I went for a medium sport note. It actually sounded so nice when the top was down that I didn't use the stereo for a few weeks.

http://www.longlife.co.uk/street/products.designs.aspx

Ignore the scantily dressed woman on the website - the branch I went to were excellent. I am sure most of these stainless exhausts are much the same though.

Thanks guys
Did you get your local garage/kwik fit to order the exhaust in once you'd decided or did you have to drive over to the suppliers? I've had a look at the Longlife website and the nearest place is quite a way from me so I'd have to do something with the exhaust before I could drive that far.
xs

Hi Shel

You could try Demon Tweeks in Wrexham (assuming you can get the car there!). Its a bit of a drive from Belper but would take about 1.5 hours probably. I got a stainless steel powerflow exhaust fitted by them for about £350 a few years ago (much better than the standard mild steel fiat ones). They fit it, let you check it and adjust it for you until your happy with it - it takes a couple of hours.

Lee

I would go to a local garage that makes them on the car.

They could patch it, re-weld it or design a new one, the orignal ones are heavy crap made from soft steal. Get a new one.

DTR's are rubbish I think, cheap materials and never hang right on the MK2, the back is very slightly different fromt he MK1's.

I had mine bespoke and it's superb. Full Stainless with a life time warrenty.

Shel I got my stainless one done at an outfit on Mapperley Top in Nottingham called ETS. It was well cheap and stainless with a lifetime guarantee etc.

Pics here.

Last edited:
Thats great Matt thanks. I rang MGC Servicing and they have agreed to look at it first thing and drive me into work from their place in need be - I'm really glad you recommended them. They will see if it is repairable and if I need to buy new then I will go to ETS or ask MGC to organise it for me. I good to know there is somewhere local.
Thanks everyone else for advice.
xs

Hi - i too have a facelift B (silver 03 plate).

I replaced my standard exhaust last year with a stainless supersprint - am well happy with it!

Was best part of £300 but well worth it! :yum:

Attachments

• P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    669 KB · Views: 29
Morning all!
Mikes little bit of gardening wire wrapped round the exhaust didn't work and it fell off on the way to the office. I've just been sat waiting for the RAC for 2 hours, freezing and dying for a wee. Finally got it to MGC and they have kindly brought me in to the office. They use ETS as their supplier Matt, so I'm waiting to hear from them later.
xs

Shel I got my stainless one done at an outfit on Mapperley Top in Nottingham called ETS. It was well cheap and stainless with a lifetime guarantee etc.

Pics here.
Hi Matt
Can you let me know which parts of the exhaust you got for the price you mention? Mine needs doing from the cat back.
Thanks
xs

I got my new exhaust yesterday from ETS, Ripley branch.
It sounds great. I asked for 'sporty, but not boy racer' and now there is a nice growly sound when i setg off but its still reasonably quiet for normal driving. I think my old exhaust may have been full of holes though so I'm used to it sounding loud. Will post some pics when i get chance.
xs

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who's given me advice. I've had a few problems with the car these last few weeks and things that could have been quite stressful for me to sort out have been made easy by all your help and advice.

Last edited:
I got my new exhaust yesterday from ETS, Ripley branch.
It sounds great. I asked for 'sporty, but not boy racer' and now there is a nice growly sound when i setg off but its still reasonably quiet for normal driving. I think my old exhaust may have been full of holes though so I'm used to it sounding loud. Will post some pics when i get chance.
xs

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who's given me advice. I've had a few problems with the car these last few weeks and things that could have been quite stressful for me to sort out have been made easy by all your help and advice.

Congratulations on your new exhuast. I remember enjoying the sound - still do. I have elderly relatives that live in Marehay. That is Ripley, isn't it?

Congratulations on your new exhuast. I remember enjoying the sound - still do. I have elderly relatives that live in Marehay. That is Ripley, isn't it?

Yes its not that far from the garage I used. It's just the next place along from Ripley. I must admit some of them were a bit grumpy in there, but very busy so maybe thats why. I just about managed to get a smile when i asked if the life time guarantee included it dropping off like my last one did, and he said, yes, but it won't drop of.

Hi Matt
Can you let me know which parts of the exhaust you got for the price you mention? Mine needs doing from the cat back.
Thanks
xs

BTW Shel sorry I never replied to this post. Mine was from cat back too. Glad you got yourself sorted out. Looking forward to hearing your car on the 31st.

Matt

Hi Shel,
It will have broken just in front of the middle box. Its where they all go. Mine did it a while ago. The middle box costs over £300 from FIAT plus fitting. None of the Kwik Fit type places carry anything for the Barchetta.
I had a powerflow exhaust made. Its stainless steel and guaranteed for the life of the car. The technician even asked me how I would like the car to sound! It sounds Italian! The cost was just under £400 for a complete cat-back system, but with my NHS discount this came dowwn to £320. PM me if you need more info.
Cheers

John (spiderboy)
Hi there
I'am new in the forum and i am going to bay a barchetta tomorrow,could You please let me know what is the way to find out when the car was manifactured as the owner have told me that is 1998 ut i found a stiker which seys that the airbag needs be refill by augost 1997 so please let me know if You can.also does the car comes originaly with fitted alarm as this one is not working at all,also the car have lots of rust under the radiator,,,woa:slayer:i do have so many ?????please tell about everythink if you want,also the springs looks vary rusty as well there is water inside one of the back lights...please let me know what to do:)

Back