Technical european headlamp conversion

Currently reading:
Technical european headlamp conversion

rocks

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum ,although I've owned a Barchetta for 3 years now ,and have a fabulous time with it.

I've recently moved to France and was told there is a way of switching the headlamp deflectors for european driving ,does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you

Rocks

Hi Rocks and welcome to the forum. There has never been a clear answer to this one, I don't believe that it can be done, thinking about it logically if you reverse the lens you would project the beam upside down not left to right as required. I believe that you can swap the lenses for continental lenses but cannot be 100% sure. I would suggest dropping DTR an eMail, they are usually quite helpful and answer mails within a couple of days - I know that they offer this service so will be able to tell you for sure what is required.

So, a little bit about your car (and a photo or two), colour, age, mods etc.........? (y)

:yeahthat:

It's usually a bodge job, I know mine were to get UK spec, but they pass the MOT.

Might be worth a quick look on ebay for headlamps [usually from germany so will not be a problem just to fit those] if you ever come back to the UK keep the original set

Last edited:
it can be done with some patience
you have to take the projection unit apart and flip around the metal (shutter/diafragm/????) thingie
it looks a bit like this (__/)

I've seen the explanation somewhere, cant remember if it was here or not.

a search should pop it up

but if money is not an issue.. buy a couple of german headlights indeed

I think that the explanation was somewhere here. I'm sure that somebody with too much time on their hands will find it and post the link here.

Alfacraft in Richmond (Phil Parfit) can convert Barchetta headlamps. He used to convert them for Dominic at Alfa Corsa who was one of the first people to import Barchetta's in quantities.

Hi ,

I found this on another site. Hope it helps. :

I have taken the old light apart this afternoon and found that
> there is a metal deflector which is reversible. It is marked TD on
> one side and TG on the other. It has a part number 88203735 stamped
> on it.
>
> Remove the headlight from the car which involves removing the
> front bumper to access the retaning bolt underneath.
Unclip the black housing from the headlight. Put the
> clear lens once removed from the black housing on a soft cloth to
> avoid scratching it.
>
> Remove the bulbs to avoid damaging them, Pull the metal assembly
> off of its mounting pins, Remove the two screws and one large clip
> remove the four little clips which hold the deflector in place,
> remove the deflector turn it around and put it back in place.
> Reassemble the headlight assembly re install in the car refit front
> bumper. The headlights will need alligning.

I seem to remember that some older cars have the deflector plate rivetted on so they would need to be drilled out and reattached.

regards

Rich

Hi ,

I found this on another site. Hope it helps. :

I have taken the old light apart this afternoon and found that
> there is a metal deflector which is reversible. It is marked TD on
> one side and TG on the other. It has a part number 88203735 stamped
> on it.
>
> Remove the headlight from the car which involves removing the
> front bumper to access the retaning bolt underneath.
Unclip the black housing from the headlight. Put the
> clear lens once removed from the black housing on a soft cloth to
> avoid scratching it.
>
> Remove the bulbs to avoid damaging them, Pull the metal assembly
> off of its mounting pins, Remove the two screws and one large clip
> remove the four little clips which hold the deflector in place,
> remove the deflector turn it around and put it back in place.
> Reassemble the headlight assembly re install in the car refit front
> bumper. The headlights will need alligning.

I seem to remember that some older cars have the deflector plate rivetted on so they would need to be drilled out and reattached.

regards

Rich

I think we may have a definitive answer! Thanks Rich (y)

In the history of this Forum (I ain't got time to search) since I scoured the pages once before, there is a chap who has done this a coupla times who explains how it's done. He's moved back and forth abroad, a few times, so he realigned his lights 3 times to satisfy the legal requirements of whatever country. Given that DTR modify not replace the lights, for big bucks, I think they'll be a tad reluctant to explain the 'trade' secret to a DIYer.

Its an easy change over job from EU to UK (y) I have two new ligths going on my B this weekend and both are EU lights that will need changing over before I can fit them.

We will be waiting for your pictorial guide? (if you have time to write one between re-decorating the spare room into a nursery, shopping for cot's, pushchairs, car seats and making the house kid-friendly!!)............

Back