General UK -> EU conversion

Currently reading:
General UK -> EU conversion

rg14

I've recently set my eyes on a UK spec Barchetta and I'm considering buying it from here and then exporting it to the EU to have it for my rare visits.

My assumption is that the lights need to be converted for LHD roads. Has anyone done that? Are any new parts needed?

PS: I do apologise for taking another one of those beauties out of the country :D

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I understand the front lights are a relatively easy fix for a mechanic. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rear lights. Could you please provide more info?

Thanks

Try Partsworld-UK for reversing & rear fog light - I have purchased several genuine items from them with no problems.

Fog light and reversing light swap over no problem. Yes, they will be upside down but you cant tell the difference. If you cant get enough slack on the wires you can extend them.

Hi, many Barchettas were imported into UK by British Servicemen (I was one that did this) and simply swopped over the fog and reversing light to the other side. I suspect that some UK Barchettas may still be set up like this and will simply return to their original positions.
StevePD

The headlamps can be converted by means of a flap/shield inside. Not doe this myself but there is info on how to do it out there on the web.

The rear fog and reversing lights will need changing over. On the parts list they are listed as handed so new units will I guess be required.
Me again :)
My car has just failed its MOT -
  • Rear fog lamp obviously incorrectly positioned Fitted to Near side only (4.5.4 (a))
Its been in the UK for years and no other MOT tester has failed it, any thoughts before I go down there?
Cheers

Me again :)
My car has just failed its MOT -
  • Rear fog lamp obviously incorrectly positioned Fitted to Near side only (4.5.4 (a))
Its been in the UK for years and no other MOT tester has failed it, any thoughts before I go down there?
Cheers
Just found this-

4.5.4. Compliance with requirements​

You must inspect:

• all front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018
  • the 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

Interesting how it has passed all its other MOT's?

So to fix I swap fog and reversing lights over, albeit they will be upside down?

That's annoying, as @s130 said they are handed so it might not fit well if you swap it over (assuming the harness can be swapped too) but might get you through the MOT. If you want a UK set then I think I've got a spare second-hand set of those lamps in a box I'm happy to pass on for a few quid, send me a message if you're interested and I'll go digging.

That's annoying, as @s130 said they are handed so it might not fit well if you swap it over (assuming the harness can be swapped too) but might get you through the MOT. If you want a UK set then I think I've got a spare second-hand set of those lamps in a box I'm happy to pass on for a few quid, send me a message if you're interested and I'll go digging.
I have had a quick look (down at the garage) and I think they can be inverted and swapped, the wiring looks to be long enough. That will, as you say, get it through the mot.
Also need a new rear brake caliper :-( so they will have it for a few days
I would be interested in a UK set if you do have them, that would be great thanks.

I would be interested in a UK set if you do have them, that would be great thanks.
Damn, had a dig and I can only find the reversing light and not the fog light and going by the part number it is not a UK spec one, sorry to have got your hopes up, good luck with the swap
1658480700959.png

That's my reading. One observation is that you can't trust the part number printed on the part as my two lights that would fit on the passenger side have the same part number but different lenses. Sort of obvious when you think about it as the lens part is simply glued to the backing piece and why would they bother creating two backing piece parts with just a diferent part number on them. I wonder if you could actually remove the lens and re-colour it?
1658561582462.png

1658561601653.png

That's my reading. One observation is that you can't trust the part number printed on the part as my two lights that would fit on the passenger side have the same part number but different lenses. Sort of obvious when you think about it as the lens part is simply glued to the backing piece and why would they bother creating two backing piece parts with just a diferent part number on them. I wonder if you could actually remove the lens and re-colour it?
View attachment 409347
View attachment 409348
Just spent a few hours online looking for some UK spec rear fog and reversing lights. Gone to all the Fiat/Italian spares sites I know and can't find any. So I will have to hope mine fit reasonably well upside down.
It really is hit and miss with parts for the B's, the prices ( and availability) are all over the place, I have just seen a clutch kit for £28, next cheapest was £69 then loads £100 upwards.
Lots of Clutch cables available in the EU, but quite costly, only one supplier that I was able to find in the UK and TBF reasonably priced.
Unfortunately I think its only going to get harder and harder to source parts :-(

Unfortunately I think its only going to get harder and harder to source parts :-(
Well if you think the "B" is bad / getting worse then be thankful you don't have a Strada Abarth 130TC :)

When our car was but some 3 to 6 months old some parts were no longer available. 34 years on nothing has improved, but only got worse.

I was hoping it was what I call the "classic car parts black hole period" where the manufacturer no longer supplies and it the after market, clubs and enthusiasts who then drive up availability. With the "B", due to numbers, there is a chance that this will happen but in the meantime it is painfully difficult and costly.

Back