Ethernet power plug

Currently reading:
Ethernet power plug

]Does anyone use ethernet power plugs in their house?

I'm with Virgin Media and since they have given us this new homehub router the wireless signal in my room is terrible, no more online gaming for me and even my Galaxy s3 keeps loosing signal and I'm virtually above the router. Never had this issue with the previous belkin router but mum got rid of it.
I live in a small detached 2 bedroom house and everywhere else is ok for signal, at least my parents done complain/use the wifi in their room. So short of buying a new router I thought about giving these power plugs a go.

Just want to know if they are as good as stated.

CLICKY

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yep, I use 4 around the house - although the older 200Mbps units - all linked into my router, an 8 port switch, a 5 port switch and another access point in the spare room.

Can't fault them :)

Mine are the Xenta units, although I think you can mix and match, can't recall.

We had netgear units in our student house 2 years a go they were really expensive and kept going up in smoke, the plus side was multiple ports for things like network TV PC laptop etc all off one adaptor. seems people have more luck with the cheaper units

I've got a couple of Comtrend units to link my NAS and router to a media PC as for some reason the wireless doesn't work well for it. They work fine but like wifi don't expect anything like the advertised speeds.
Best to go for units from one make although you can in theory mix. You can't mix powerline and homeplug though so watch out for that.

To be honest the amount you need to spend might be better spent on a new router. It depends on if you think your wifi signal issues are down to your router or environmental factors (like a thick wall).

I use those TP units

I use the TP ones at home as well, for doing their job, they're amazing. You can also get one that does the same thing, but also transmits a wireless signal in the room you want as well however I've never tried them.
My only complaint is a high pitched whine that I notice when going to sleep (as I have one for my TV in my room). But my hearing is insane.. and none of my house mates can hear it.
They're definitely worth it for the money!

I've got some older D-link jobbies in my last house and previous flat they were great always connected at full speed and always secured the connection. In the last place I had one plugged into a 6 way extension behind the TV and the other was out in the garage running off a spured socket then plugged into another 6 way. In my current house I can't get them to work at all well, I've tried all the sockets and they will only connect every now and then but as soon as they try to secure the connection they fail. They don't even work well here when plugged into the same 6 way extension lead :(

I used to have TP link 200mbps ones. They were great, and would saturate the 100mbit ports that they were connected to. Then one day, something changed. No idea what - but they then wouldn't transfer more than around 25mbit. I gave them to my dad, and they work at ~60mbit at his house and that's fine for him. I've replaced the links with cat5e/6 cable in my house.

I've noticed they are massively dependant on the environment, even more so than WiFi. I'm guessing the people who have the most success are people in newer housing. Unfortunately there's no substitute for a nice length of Cat 5e/6 as much as a pain in the ass it is to wire in a domestic property :(.

Agreed - my house was built around 10 years ago, plus it is rented - so the powerplugs suit me down to the ground :)

If/when again I buy my new place, I will take a view again on what is best to use.

Back