engine still runs for a few mins with the keys removed

Currently reading:
engine still runs for a few mins with the keys removed

Lien

I have a Hymer on a Ducato chassis and when I remove the keys the engine still runs for a few mins before stopping. Any ideas?

I assume your Ducato is a diesel engine?

Your problem could be caused by oil combustion in association with a faulty shut-off choke/vane/plate.

Diesel engines require NO eletricity to operate. As long as they have a fluid to burn and a supply of air then they will run on the diesel compression and explosion/detonation cycle. The only way to stop them is via fuel starvation, forced decompression or shut-off air supply.

Older diesel engines have been known to litterally self run to destruction on oil/oil vapours/fuel leaking into the combustion chamber. This can be caused by blown piston rings, leaking valve stems, leaking injectors and other similar failures.

Modern diesel egines incorporate fuel and air shut-off valves. Even the air shutoff valves are not perfect and any air leakage anywhere could be sufficent to maintain combustion.

The fact that your engine eventually stops seems to suggest that it is gently consuming more air and fuel/oil than is being supplied.

Hope thi helps?

Last edited:
I have a Hymer on a Ducato chassis and when I remove the keys the engine still runs for a few mins before stopping. Any ideas?
It happens in my Fiat Linea too. According to the owner's handbook, it is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry.

Back