Technical Engine rattle

Currently reading:
Technical Engine rattle

The one in that clip does appear to be missing some nuts and studs.

Pre-cat fumes can kill you, post-cat just give you more of a headache.
If you can get the heat shield off then it should be clear. Though not sure if the 500 has a cast manifold or not, you can get some pretty subtle cracks in the cast manifolds that leak and change with temperature.
Yeah that’s the main concern for me …. Broken studs! That’s worst case scenario for me
I’m hoping when I get in there none are broken and I get the nuts off without breaking any (doubtful) but that noise is exactly what I get when I rev so it’s leaning towards a leak! If I have any cracks I’ll just have to get in touch with club500 and go from there .. thank you for the info & tips I do really appreciate all the help

That new video definitely sounds like an exhaust leak.
That engine lifting bracket seems to be missing a bolt/stud. At 8-10 seconds it can be seen moving as the engine is revved.
Hopefully the stud has fallen out, not broken off. Good luck.

I’m in there! 😬 can’t see any obvious soot but I suppose I’m not really experienced in this sort of thing!
Soaked in plus gas now I’m going to give it a bit of time before I attempt the bolts … to say I’m shitting myself is an understatement 😂

Attachments

• 5D8E854A-8A75-4641-A514-C2EACB31BC4E.jpeg
    5D8E854A-8A75-4641-A514-C2EACB31BC4E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 4B528D99-03E4-4EAF-AD3B-9C869AE9D46F.jpeg
    4B528D99-03E4-4EAF-AD3B-9C869AE9D46F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • FD72AED7-362B-473D-B0AA-51A85B61C391.jpeg
    FD72AED7-362B-473D-B0AA-51A85B61C391.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • DA15FAD1-6863-4065-AD5B-F2B3A76F4520.jpeg
    DA15FAD1-6863-4065-AD5B-F2B3A76F4520.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
It could be anywhere on the manifold (or manicat as the new name seems to be), not just the gasket points to the head.

Try moving the exhaust pipe underneath and see if you can get the sound to appear or disappear.
Feel over the sourface, about half an inch away, for any hot air movement.

I'm surprised fiat weld on to the cast metal, it was never the done thing years ago.

As well as the plus-gas soaking, when you undo those nuts, brush the exposed threads as much as you can, move the nuts a little at a time, and work them back and forth gently. They'll get hot.
If you have any sort of impact driver, air or electric, on a gentle setting can help, as it disturbs the rust well. The studs may come out of the head, which is good, or break off, which is bad. At least by hand, you can feel if the stud is trying to fail. The studs do look ok though, so I think broken studs are unlikely.

Those pics show a nut on the lifting bracket, but the vid shows no nut. Is this all optical illusion, or have you moved a nut across? The top left nut now seems to be missing. Did it relocate? If one is missing, a leak will result.

I'd suggest new studs and nuts.

As well as the plus-gas soaking, when you undo those nuts, brush the exposed threads as much as you can, move the nuts a little at a time, and work them back and forth gently. They'll get hot.
If you have any sort of impact driver, air or electric, on a gentle setting can help, as it disturbs the rust well. The studs may come out of the head, which is good, or break off, which is bad. At least by hand, you can feel if the stud is trying to fail. The studs do look ok though, so I think broken studs are unlikely.

Those pics show a nut on the lifting bracket, but the vid shows no nut. Is this all optical illusion, or have you moved a nut across? The top left nut now seems to be missing. Did it relocate? If one is missing, a leak will result.

That nut confused me too PB but then it dawned on me - I think the video is a generic offering taken from You Tube, not Chris's actual car. Look at how rusty the lifting eye is. Chris's looks far less rusty? Maybe I'm wrong though?

That video I last posted was a random video I found on YouTube.. as that was the noise I was getting while reving! Anyway I’ve done it 😂 I was really scared! But I did it by hand and took it slow … after I got everything back together filled coolant back up to bleed & no noise it’s gone! I’ll post pics below I think the gasket failed on the right side as it’s black

Note the bottom right nut! It was loose 😬

Attachments

• 1BBE4738-84FF-42A2-8D65-319AE97DB618.jpeg
    1BBE4738-84FF-42A2-8D65-319AE97DB618.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 5EFB7919-BD94-437B-9FFC-F83E31CE6F14.jpeg
    5EFB7919-BD94-437B-9FFC-F83E31CE6F14.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
That nut confused me too PB but then it dawned on me - I think the video is a generic offering taken from You Tube, not Chris's actual car. Look at how rusty the lifting eye is. Chris's looks far less rusty? Maybe I'm wrong though?
It is indeed a random YouTube video…. Oh jock I’ve done it! I was quite frightened too as I know the studs are brittle … once I got everything back together I started the car to bleed the cooling system no noise 🥰 then I got a little smoke 💨 awww what!!!! Then I realised it’s the plus gas burning off 😂

It is indeed a random YouTube video…. Oh jock I’ve done it! I was quite frightened too as I know the studs are brittle … once I got everything back together I started the car to bleed the cooling system no noise 🥰 then I got a little smoke 💨 awww what!!!! Then I realised it’s the plus gas burning off 😂
So pleased it went well for you. I know how worrying it can be when you see rusty nuts in situations like this, especially when you're not immediately working on the job and have time to worry about what could go wrong. Chris, I'm in awe of what you've achieved since you first started posting. I always look forward to seeing your name against a post as I know it's going to be well worth reading!

Do you now understand how a listening tube will work so much better than a stethoscope/screwdriver in this sort of situation? whereas a listening stick would be much better to track down an alternator/water pump or similar bearing where the noise will travel through the casting.

Seems a bit random for the exhaust manifold to suddenly leak out the blue.
The gasket seems quite sooty on the right hand two ports compared to the other two.

So pleased it went well for you. I know how worrying it can be when you see rusty nuts in situations like this, especially when you're not immediately working on the job and have time to worry about what could go wrong. Chris, I'm in awe of what you've achieved since you first started posting. I always look forward to seeing your name against a post as I know it's going to be well worth reading!

Do you now understand how a listening tube will work so much better than a stethoscope/screwdriver in this sort of situation? whereas a listening stick would be much better to track down an alternator/water pump or similar bearing where the noise will travel through the casting.
Oh I do! I had no idea a tube could work so well! I’m definitely keeping it for future use! Those studs were quite rusty but I did use plenty of plus gas and gave it time to soak in

It’s not a job I’d want to do again .. but I used to say that about bleeding the coolant but I’m used to that now!

Back