Technical Engine rattle

Currently reading:
Technical Engine rattle

Baglady1990

One job always leads to another
Just developed a rattle at idle! It started a couple of days ago but I’m a bit baffled
It’s a tapping noise that increases with revs …
The car drives absolutely perfect there are no error codes I’ve checked the oil the level is fine

I’ve used my garage stethoscope to try and pinpoint.. I’m just not sure as nothing seems apparent

My senses are telling me it’s the middle but sound does travel so it’s hard to tell
Could it be fuel rail? Spark plugs? Though they are iridium and not that old! Any ideas?

Just developed a rattle at idle! It started a couple of days ago but I’m a bit baffled
It’s a tapping noise that increases with revs …
The car drives absolutely perfect there are no error codes I’ve checked the oil the level is fine

I’ve used my garage stethoscope to try and pinpoint.. I’m just not sure as nothing seems apparent

My senses are telling me it’s the middle but sound does travel so it’s hard to tell
Could it be fuel rail? Spark plugs? Though they are iridium and not that old! Any ideas?
Hi Chris, That's a hard one without being able to hear it stuff like cam followers, injectors, little end, piston slap and a whole lot more can make "tapping" noises. Any hope of posting the noise on here - Says he, not knowing how you would do that!

How old is the oil? Ours makes a tappy noise when the oil is getting to about a year old?
Good point John. Becky is just due her annual service right now but she's having to wait 'till I've done Twinkle - our Ibiza. Becky is slightly more "tappety" at start up just now and I know the new oil will "reset" this.

I will suggest the obvious.

Clutch pedal up and down.. then in and out of gear

Add LOAD.. so aircon on and off then headlights on snd off

Does it change much..

Revs will fall a little with LOAD..

but we want to see if it 'stops'..or changes tone drastically :)
Ok so it taps at start up but with aircon on it gets worse aircon ect off it quiets down

Interesting..

So - rest your foot on clutch pedal

No change ?

Press clutch pedal to floor.. hold it there

Silent..??

If its silent with clutch depressed its probably the clutch inner bearing :)
Well that’s what I thought but no! It seems worse when there is a load like aircon? Turn off aircon it goes away I don’t think it’s a gearbox thing

Have you a "listening hose"? Length of small diameter hose like fuel hose or fish tank pipe etc. Stick one end in your ear and move the open end around the engine bay while you zero in on where the noise is loudest.

Edit Sorry for the delay in getting back, neighbour's friend had parked car across our driveway - proper dropped curb etc - and Mrs J returned from doing the shopping in Becky but couldn't get up in front of our house. Of course the car was a "stranger" so I'd no idea it belonged to our neighbour's friend. Parked the Becky up the street and carried the bags back to the house. Neighbour's friend got into car and drove off before I could get out the house to "have a word". Now trying to decide whether it's worth the possible bad feeling of raising the incident with the neighbour - with whom we have a good rapport - Think I'll just stay shtum but take issue with it if it happens again?

Last edited:
Have you a "listening hose"? Length of small diameter hose like fuel hose or fish tank pipe etc. Stick one end in your ear and move the open end around the engine bay while you zero in on where the noise is loudest.

Edit Sorry for the delay in getting back, neighbour's friend had parked car across our driveway - proper dropped curb etc - and Mrs J returned from doing the shopping in Becky but couldn't get up in front of our house. Of course the car was a "stranger" so I'd no idea it belonged to our neighbour's friend. Parked the Becky up the street and carried the bags back to the house. Neighbour's friend got into car and drove off before I could get out the house to "have a word". Now trying to decide whether it's worth the possible bad feeling of raising the incident with the neighbour - with whom we have a good rapport - Think I'll just stay shtum but take issue with it if it happens again?
Yes very annoying jock! And whom ever it was obviously has no respect!
Yeah I’ve been trying using my garage listening device 😂 but so far I’m stumped! I’m a little worried it’s something like lifters or tapets but had my listener on the rocker cover and nothing obvious
Well not like it was diagnosing my bad tensioners and alternator and aircon compressor they were obvious and I could clearly hear the noises

I did wonder about the starter motor as that’s one of the only original parts but does that keep running?

The car taps on idle but it seems only while it’s under load ie aircon on?
I can’t remember if it did it under revs with aircon off! As mines auto I tend to leave it on at the same temp

I’ve had my sparks out and they are not in bad condition
I do have a slight smell of petrol under the bonnet I wonder if that’s something? But my fuel rail looks ok and was cleaned months back

Hi, possibly leak at exhaust manifold gasket ?
Cheers J
Mmm 😋 fun job that! As it happens I have a new gasket as I was looking at changing my sump but I chickened out….. I’m worried about shearing bolts… is there really any way to tell if it’s really the manifold leaking? Or is it a only once your in there you see!?

Mmm 😋 fun job that! As it happens I have a new gasket as I was looking at changing my sump but I chickened out….. I’m worried about shearing bolts… is there really any way to tell if it’s really the manifold leaking? Or is it a only once your in there you see!?
Hi, If there is a heat shield it may need removing then use your listening device.
Before that check around the more easily accessible exhaust areas.
(-:

Back