Engine mount snapped in my Fiat 500 2011 Lounge

Currently reading:
Engine mount snapped in my Fiat 500 2011 Lounge

Hello everybody, I've had my meeting with Fleet Car Sales and I'm happy to say we settled on £7500.

Thank you all so so much for your help, I honestly couldn't not have fought my battle without all of your help, advice and knowledge.

Also pleased to say... I think I might be staying within the Fiat network!!!??? I've spent my afternoon looking at different cars and I just love the new Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge in Smooth Mint. Thoughts??

Hello everybody, I've had my meeting with Fleet Car Sales and I'm happy to say we settled on £7500.

Thank you all so so much for your help, I honestly couldn't not have fought my battle without all of your help, advice and knowledge.

Also pleased to say... I think I might be staying within the Fiat network!!!??? I've spent my afternoon looking at different cars and I just love the new Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge in Smooth Mint. Thoughts??

It's a nice enough colour and the 1.2 is a very reliable engine. Just make sure to testdrive it before you buy as a small number of people have had issues with newer 1.2's, but only small numbers of people.

excellent. is fiat still offering you their special deposit offer?

Fiat have offered me £1500 as a deposit towards a brand new car, the one I looked at today would be a 64 reg out Monday... I've also looked at a mini one :-( decisions!

It's a nice enough colour and the 1.2 is a very reliable engine. Just make sure to testdrive it before you buy as a small number of people have had issues with newer 1.2's, but only small numbers of people.
Do you know what kind of problems? Would I be able to test drive it before I bought it and still say no if it's brand new ordered for me?

I personally don't know what problems some people have come across with the 1.2, other than stuff I've read from search engines.

Our 2011 POP that we owned had a steering motor problem that we knew nothing about and Fiat replaced that FOC, other than that, the engine was great and didn't cause us any other issues other than a split breather pipe.

When you say Fiat are offering you a £1500 deposit, is that from your local Fiat dealership, or is it across their nationwide franchise network? I only ask because clearly, some dealerships might be able to do deals that others can't. If buying from a Fiat dealership, I wouldn't be frightened of buying nationally. That is what I did the last time and it was no problem. A work colleague of mine recently bought a new Fiat from a dealership in Scotland and it was sent down to her, so even delivery isn't an issue.

Good news! I saw a minty one yesterday for the first time.......hmm, the 500 takes whacky colours very well but personally I would tire of the mint after the initial novelty wore off. Colours are completely personal though so go with whatever takes your fancy and ignore everyone's opinions!! The 1500 quid deposit offer sounds all well and good but you'd probably get that off a new car anyway with a bit of haggling and shopping around, so are you effectively paying full list price for the car less 1500?

Do you know what kind of problems? Would I be able to test drive it before I bought it and still say no if it's brand new ordered for me?

Some people have found them lacking power when pulling away from junctions. Yes, you could ask for an acceptance testdrive

Some people have found them lacking power when pulling away from junctions.

One wonders though whether these 'incidences' are a genuine issue, or perceived. Everyone drives slightly differently and sometimes people who for instance are downgrading in engine power size, forget that what they're moving to won't have the take off power of their previous vehicle.

I'm not saying any of these people who have had 'issues' are incorrect in their perception, but when my missus downgraded in engine size from a 1.8 sport to the 1.2, it took her a little while to get used to the difference in power.

That's great news, Ellie.

I'm pleased you've found a solution that allows you to walk away from that car and put this dreadful experience behind you.

Where is this going to leave you as far as the finance company is concerned?

Glad you've got a resolution, Ellie, and that you haven't been put off having a 500. The Lounge is a good trim level, and the 1.2 is smooth and economical. Given issues others have had, I'd agree that if you get one, try it before you accept it - you will know if you are happy with how it drives.
I'm sure you'd like a Mini, too, but they cost a fair bit more for equivalent spec.
Happy shopping!

Before you make your final decision, go test drive a Suzuki Swift.

It may not have the eye appeal of a 500 or a Mini, but from a technical perspective, it's a way, way better car.

Was reading this thread before I joined up here. Have to say the troubles you were experiencing, and the hoops that dud of a dealer put you through were just shocking !!

So happy to read this has come to a good end for you .. well done Ellie. (y)

One wonders though whether these 'incidences' are a genuine issue, or perceived. Everyone drives slightly differently and sometimes people who for instance are downgrading in engine power size, forget that what they're moving to won't have the take off power of their previous vehicle.

I'm not saying any of these people who have had 'issues' are incorrect in their perception, but when my missus downgraded in engine size from a 1.8 sport to the 1.2, it took her a little while to get used to the difference in power.

To be fair one of the people had an older 1.2 as well :)

Not sure why you'd look at another car if they have offered you £1700 towards a new one!
That's staff discount level!
And don't worry about reliability, because it'll be fiats problem for 3years :D

Last edited:

Glad everything worked out OK for you Ellie, but if you are thinking of buying one from brand new, I would definitely recommend a test drive in the very latest model. We went from a 1.1 Panda to a 1.2 500S and found that there is a big difference in the way that the two vehicles drive.

After reading the various threads and noting what others have said, I have found that you can get around the slow issues pulling away but you do need to change your driving habits. I have been driving over 25 years, and this is the first car I have driven where engine revs increase whilst getting to biting point and the accelerator will have no effect until the clutch is virtually, if not all the way up. In fact, on many occasions pulling away from junctions normally would not require the use of the accelerator at all!

Once you get used to it, it drives fine and we are generally very happy with the car but as I said, please make sure you have a good test drive.

Couldn't agree more, take one for a test drive, it just doesn't have to be he exact car you intend buying and driving off the forecourt.

Some people might think that sounds a bit dumb, but to be honest, if you order a car that is built to order, you don't get to drive it until it arrives at the dealership, but you do of course get to test drive the demo. Doesn't mean the two cars are ever going to drive absolutely identical in every respect, though you would hope they might.

Some people would think me and the wife were incredibly stupid for buying a car that we hadn't even seen before parting with a deposit, we didn't even take a TA out for a test drive before purchase. As far as we were concerned, we were buying from a Fiat franchised dealership with the support that goes with it wherever we might happen to live in the country.

Not every car is going to be perfect in every way for everyone. I'm sure Ellie will sort something out that suits her circumstances entirely and I certainly wish her the best with whatever she goes with.

Glad everything worked out OK for you Ellie, but if you are thinking of buying one from brand new, I would definitely recommend a test drive in the very latest model. We went from a 1.1 Panda to a 1.2 500S and found that there is a big difference in the way that the two vehicles drive.

After reading the various threads and noting what others have said, I have found that you can get around the slow issues pulling away but you do need to change your driving habits. I have been driving over 25 years, and this is the first car I have driven where engine revs increase whilst getting to biting point and the accelerator will have no effect until the clutch is virtually, if not all the way up. In fact, on many occasions pulling away from junctions normally would not require the use of the accelerator at all!

Once you get used to it, it drives fine and we are generally very happy with the car but as I said, please make sure you have a good test drive.

Not all new 1.2's are like this, if they were then the forum would be littered with these posts. I drove a 14 plate 500 which a colleague had as a loaner car and it drove the same as my 09 plate 1.2.

Back