Grande Punto Engine Management Light on

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Engine Management Light on

The engine management light on my 2008 Grande Punto came on today. I've been working on this car merrily for months now :)

So now I need an error code scanner, as far as I know I need an OBD2 scanner, is this correct and can someone recommend one? I seem to remember reading somewhere that these old Puntos need a wired connection but I'm not sure when or where I read that.

I've had a look at the Multiecuscan website and would obviously want the free version of the software, is the free version going to give me the error codes I want without payment? Is there a catch?

There's no Android version of the software it seems, so it needs to go on a laptop...

On the last couple of days I've noticed that the temperature gauge isn't getting as high as it should, its measuring a quarter rather than the more typical half. This is after the car has been running for half an hour or more.

Last edited:
The engine management light on my 2008 Grande Punto came on today. I've been working on this car merrily for months now :)

So now I need a error code scanner, as far as I know I need an OBD2 scanner, is this correct and can someone recommend one? I seem to remember reading somewhere that these old Puntos need a wired connection but I'm not sure when or where I read that.

I've had a look at the Multiecuscan website and would obviously want the free version of the software, is the free version going to give me the error codes I want without payment? Is there a catch?

There's no Android version of the software it seems, so it needs to go on a laptop...

Hi

OBD2 is a chunky socket, all Cars since 2004 use it

£8 reader would give basic Motor codes

MES will do everything
Body, Abs

Hi

OBD2 is a chunky socket, all Cars since 2004 use it

£8 reader would give basic Motor codes

MES will do everything
Body, Abs
Ive just accessed the socket in the car that a reader goes into and it does look chunky. I checked the car in the hope that the EML would be gone, but alas no :)

I've just downloaded Multiecuscan, it seems fully featured and not restricted, so basically free for non business use. Ah now I can see the restriction, it turns off after 20 minutes, thats fine by me.

I've bought an OBD2 scanner on Amazon, not bad at £12 and to be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with a new gadget :)

And hoping the problem with the car isn't serious...

Last edited:
MES is definitely worth it for our cars. Get the full version and a decent USB interface.

Have you had any work done recently on the car that might have caused the light to come on?

A USB code scanner came today, I can connect the car socket to my laptop and open up Multiecuscan but Multiecuscan gives me an error saying I need an ELM327 or OBDkey interface.

The USB code scanner I bought didn't come with any drivers built in, instead i got a CD with a load of very old scanning programs on it.

I installed some of those basically useless programs in the hope that one of them may put a driver into windows that I could use with Multiecuscan.

I visited the ELM327 website and installed one of their drivers.

I searched on here and found some old drivers for windows xp and vista.

None of that worked, so i'm going to have to send the code scanner back, unless one of you guys know where I can get some modern windows drivers?

This is the error message, scanner, and the list of software programs I got.

Untitled 1.jpg

IMG20240210203906.jpg

IMG20240210203801.jpg

Last edited:
MES is definitely worth it for our cars. Get the full version and a decent USB interface.

I'm still looking for a decent USB interface :)

Have you had any work done recently on the car that might have caused the light to come on?
I put some liquid engine cleaner into the petrol tank a few days ago. Its possible that one of the sensors has picked this up, but I've used this stuff in Grande Puntos before and not had this engine light come on.

Last edited:
A USB code scanner came today, I can connect the car socket to my laptop and open up Multiecuscan but Multiecuscan gives me an error saying I need an ELM327 or OBDkey interface.

The USB code scanner I bought didn't come with any drivers built in, instead i got a CD with a load of very old scanning programs on it.

I installed some of those basically useless programs in the hope that one of them may put a driver into windows that I could use with Multiecuscan.

I visited the ELM327 website and installed one of their drivers.

I searched on here and found some old drivers for windows xp and vista.

None of that worked, so i'm going to have to send the code scanner back, unless one of you guys know where I can get some modern windows drivers?

This is the error message, scanner, and the list of software programs I got.

View attachment 438002

View attachment 438001

View attachment 438000
Needs to be a modified elm device specifically for fiats. You can modify yourself with soldering a resistor in across particular pins... But I'd just get one that's been done. Search fiat modified elm327 on ebay and the likes. About 30 quid with all cables for all modules on the car.

Needs to be a modified elm device specifically for fiats. You can modify yourself with soldering a resistor in across particular pins... But I'd just get one that's been done. Search fiat modified elm327 on ebay and the likes. About 30 quid with all cables for all modules on the car.
I have a soldering iron and I'm reasonably adept at soldering, but yeah, i might buy a fiat specific elm327. I'll have a think, thanks for the info.

Reactions: bun
I have a soldering iron and I'm reasonably adept at soldering, but yeah, i might buy a fiat specific elm327. I'll have a think, thanks for the info.
You only have to look at the MES Forum to see all the ELM devices that do not work. You can try what is suggested there in the long rubbing thread:

http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493

Personally I would go direct to Gendan as their devices (ELM / OBDLINK) work.

You only have to look at the MES Forum to see all the ELM devices that do not work. You can try what is suggested there in the long rubbing thread:

http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493

Personally I would go direct to Gendan as their devices (ELM / OBDLINK) work.

From the MES forum I can see I need to short out the R14 resistor. It wouldn't be too difficult if thats all I had to do.

I looked up the Gendan devices and also eBay devices which say they work with Fiat cars but don't want to pay £30-£40 (at this time).

So i'm going to do the following...

Wait until all the petrol is out of the tank and hope the engine light goes off. If it does go off then send the OBD2 interface back and kick the can down the road!

If the EML light stays on after i've next filled the petrol tank, I'll open up the interface and short the 120 Ohm R14 resistor. And hope for the best :)

From the MES forum I can see I need to short out the R14 resistor. It wouldn't be too difficult if thats all I had to do.
NO DON'T DO THIS

The 120 ohm resistors are bus terminators. If you short them out then you will short the bus lines out.

The reason most of these ELM devices don't work is because the car's CAN Bus already has the require 120 ohm terminators. When another 120 ohm terminator is put on the bus by the ELM device than the bus now has 60 ohms across its data lines which it does not like.

Read the posts again carefully. In most cases the 120 ohm resistor needs to be removed not shorted out.

NO DON'T DO THIS

The 120 ohm resistors are bus terminators. If you short them out then you will short the bus lines out.

The reason most of these ELM devices don't work is because the car's CAN Bus already has the require 120 ohm terminators. When another 120 ohm terminator is put on the bus by the ELM device than the bus now has 60 ohms across its data lines which it does not like.

Read the posts again carefully. In most cases the 120 ohm resistor needs to be removed not shorted out.
Thanks for the headsup, i scan read the MES forum post, so I'll look closer again. Yes you're right, the resistor needs to be removed.

The engine management light did gone off. I'm not sure if that's because the engine cleaner passed through,or perhaps it's because the intermittent starter motor problem I have has gone away.

Anyway, I sent the OBD2 scanner back. No doubt I'll be back here sooner or later, but you know the saying about not troubling trouble...:)

Last edited:
Back