Punto Evo Multiecuscan - Window tablets recommendation on a budget?

Currently reading:
Punto Evo Multiecuscan - Window tablets recommendation on a budget?

The only tablet with windows and USB-A socket I can think instantly of is Microsoft Surface. But it is not a budget thing...

What phone are you using? iPhone or Android? There is an iPhone / iPad version of MES available. You'd need a wireless (wifi) interface, too.

I've checked on the internet, there is a bunch of no-name tablets running Windows. But the installed hardware is crap... Is there a special cause you want a tablet? You want to install it premanently in the car?

If no, and if budget is priority, I'd choose an ex-leasing 12 - 13" business laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook). They are very durable and will definitely last longer than a no-name tablet with no support and no spare parts available.

If you want to consider ex-leasing hardware, there are few 2 in 1 models from known producers, Surface's direct competitors, ie:

HP Elite x2, Spectre x2 Pro
Lenovo ThinkPad Helix
Lenovo S1 Yoga
Toshiba Portege Z20T-C
Dell Latitude 7275 and similar.

Try looking for 2 in 1. And rather avoid Intel Celeron processors.

Last edited:
It's a complete apple household (almost) and looking at the iphone version of the software it gets quite the slating feedback wise.
So my son has a PC but that's in his bedroom so that's no good, but he does have an android phone which is relatively new model

I'd not thought about a small laptop to be honest, yes budget is a consideration as I'd only be using it for the multiecuscan and nothing else and assumed a tablet would be easier / cheaper.
Just looking at ebay and there's big discounts on tech advertised wonder if something like this would be ok?

I guess if there's a way to use my sons phone only that's the most direct and cheapest way I guess (but do i need to also add a wifi interface?

Failing that I guess a cheap but reasonable make laptop may be the only other choice?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As far as I can see, there is NO android version of MES available and supported.

I don't get the expression 'it gets quite the slating feedback wise.' Sorry... If it means 'good', I'd go for it. You'll have MES installed on your own iPhone / iPad, so always with you. If it means 'no', I'd go for such a laptop you've linked. But check the description, here in Poland grade C means very probably also damaged screen :( Small dents / wear signs are no problem for such laptops, but you should consider replacing the battery (or refurbishing, those include typical 18650 Li-Ion cells) in some time.

I've been using myself a 3 year old ex-leasing company HP Elitebook 12" on daily basis for almost 8 years now with no problems at all, I've only changed the HDD disk to SSD for comfort and speed. It was grade A and had literally no wear signs except on the bottom, as it was used on a docking station.

You can connect MES to windows with cable (+adapters) or bluetooth, but as far as I remember, iOS doesn't allow connecting such equipment. Thus wifi interface is required.

It should be described on multiecuscan.net :)

Ah sorry, being slated usually means gets a slagging off or poor feedback. 2/5 score on the app store. Hence I thought best to go for windows / android.

On further reading I think you are right, can't find anything saying android can be used, I think I may have read something about using it with a generic non MES system and it confused me lol.

I'll look into the laptop side of things closely then :) and thanks for your help (y)

I've bought a FIAT dedicated bluetooth ODB interface that I use both with MES on my Windows laptop AND Torque on Android phone. It allows to clear engine errors and read the data, but MES is dedicated, you have change settings, do proxi alignment, reprogramm keys/keyfobs and access all modules such as airbag, display, gearbox, air suspension, ABS etc.

I don't know if I'd rely on AppStore opinions... People often put crap in those...

Have you checked the multiecuscan.net site? They have a dedicated forum.

Good luck :)

Hi guys, apologies for resurrecting an old thread but would this laptop below be suitable for MES?

I’m all Apple ie iPhone, iPad Pro & MBA so would prefer to use the IOS version but I’m quite happy to buy a win laptop.

BTW I do run windows 11 on my MBA M1 but there’s no usb port on the MBA.

Thanks

Tony

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531
i5-3230M
Intel HD Graphics 4000
12GB RAM
15.6" 1366*768
250GB WD Blue SSD
Fairly unremarkable laptop, was used for work and then was just told to keep it. Does the job, as long as the job isn't too demanding. Everything works as it should. Fresh w10 install. With charger.
£55 posted

Just wondering which version of mes that I should buy guys?

Our car's a 2023 Panda TA petrol 875 cc engine.

Can only version or the diagnostic Package (USB)?

Hi guys, I ended up buying this laptop below, I did consider using my MBA which is running WIN 11 but it seemed better just to buy an old WIN laptop rather than messing about with two different OS's although in saying that WIN 11 runs perfectly on a macOS machine also didn't want to use my MBA in the car and risk getting it damaged.

That price includes delivery BTW, should have the laptop next week some time.

Lenovo Ultrabook i5-7200CPU 8GB 256GB SSD- 13" £85​

When it arrives and you install MES make carefull notes of the MES Hardware Key.

When you want to move MES to another device then on your existing device you generate a Removal Key which allows the MES License to be installed on another device (new license key is generated for the new hardware). However if your existing device fails then removal key generation is not possible and you have to contact MES for a new install/license key. MES support will want proof of purchase, current license key and preferably the current/old hardware key. With all three pieces of info then MES Support know your are a genuine user.

When it arrives and you install MES make carefull notes of the MES Hardware Key.

When you want to move MES to another device then on your existing device you generate a Removal Key which allows the MES License to be installed on another device (new license key is generated for the new hardware). However if your existing device fails then removal key generation is not possible and you have to contact MES for a new install/license key. MES support will want proof of purchase, current license key and preferably the current/old hardware key. With all three pieces of info then MES Support know your are a genuine user.

Thanks, just about to buy the Gendan bundle, so CAN only version?

Back