Technical Engine light coming on.

Currently reading:
Technical Engine light coming on.

Hi everyone.
I eventually bought the car and after just over 2 weeks I finally got it neck from the dealer.
He said he had cleaned the egr valve and he replaced the maf sensor at a cost to himself of £160.
I have the invoice and the old part.
What I found was yet again 10 mins after getting the car back and going on to the dual carriageway then putting my foot down the engine light came on and stopped revving over 3000 rpm.
So I took car home and rear codes again turbo circuit high.
What I found is where the air intake pipe goes into the turbo, just behind it there is another pipe that tees off it and goes off round the back of the engine.
This pipe looks like it should have a collar and clip that lock together to form a seal with an o ring, this has broken so I pushed them together and used a jubilee clip and tightened it up.
I then put the pipes and air filter back together.
And hey presto no more engine light and the car goes a hell of a lot better than it was.
Also how can you tell if the actuator is working on the turbo.
I have had it revving out with a friend watching it from underneath and there appears to be no movement on it.

The little rubber pipe on the turbo is the actuator pressure hose.

The 20mm dis black plastic pipe that runs from back of engine to turbo air inlet is the breather. There’s an oil catch pot behind the engine. The pipe needs to be sealed as you won’t want grit getting into the turbo.

The larger steel pipe carries air into the turbo. Check the other diesel thread for how mine looked. The EGR pepper pot was so sooty you literally wouldn’t know it existed. I can’t believe that wasn’t throwing up error codes.

The little rubber pipe on the turbo is the actuator pressure hose.

The 20mm dis black plastic pipe that runs from back of engine to turbo air inlet is the breather. There’s an oil catch pot behind the engine. The pipe needs to be sealed as you won’t want grit getting into the turbo.

The larger steel pipe carries air into the turbo. Check the other diesel thread for how mine looked. The EGR pepper pot was so sooty you literally wouldn’t know it existed. I can’t believe that wasn’t throwing up error codes.
Hi DaveMc t The small black rubber pipe does it suck or blow to operate the actuator.?

Also how can you tell if the actuator is working on the turbo.

If it's not working correctly you will get one or more errors
  • P0237 – Turbo boost sensor
  • P0238 – Turbo boost sensor “A” circuit high input
  • P0046 – Turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit range/performance
  • P0047 – Turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit
  • P0048 – turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit high
  • P2263 – Turbocharger activation fault
  • P2562 – Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit
The proper way to test is to add a pressure transducer and data log it's reading,

I have posted the procedure before, shouldn't be required

Stuck open, stuck closed or vacuum leak will all trigger a code

Last edited:
The turbo waste gate opens at full pressure, so the actuator is more likely to be pressure operated. But it's basically a small version brake servo. Vacuum or pressure, it hardly matters.

The turbo waste gate opens at full pressure, so the actuator is more likely to be pressure operated.

Not according to fiat

Screenshot_20230706_222426.jpg

The 75 cv is slightly different as the there ia also an electric operated solenoid within the vacuum line and boost is controlled via the ecu according to both engine power and torque requirements

I'm calling a misprint. The turbo waste gate has no electrical connection. It opens to release excess manifold pressure. Where would it find a vacuum to operate the servo?

I'm calling a misprint. The turbo waste gate has no electrical connection. It opens to release excess manifold pressure. Where would it find a vacuum to operate the servo?
Doesn't look like a misprint to me

There a far few evolutions of the multijet and multijetii

By 2007 isn't there a ECU controlled Pierburg vacuum boost valve fitted

Last edited:
Thank you
If it's not working correctly you will get one or more errors
  • P0237 – Turbo boost sensor
  • P0238 – Turbo boost sensor “A” circuit high input
  • P0046 – Turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit range/performance
  • P0047 – Turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit
  • P0048 – turbocharger boost control solenoid circuit high
  • P2263 – Turbocharger activation fault
  • P2562 – Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit
The proper way to test is to add a pressure transducer and data log it's reading,

I have posted the procedure before, shouldn't be required

Stuck open, stuck closed or vacuum leak will all trigger a code
Looks like it must be working then as no codes and car does get along nicely.
Thank you

My 2009 Multijet has the 70bhp engine with waste gate turbo mounted under the manifold. The turbo wastegate has rubber hose from the air scroll to the actuator. That's it. No electronics in sight. The manifold has a pressure sensor at the top left (looking at front of car). Air flow sensing is via a MAF sensor on the turbo inlet hose. My turbo settings must be OK because boost pics up well from 2000 rpm. It pulls (gently) from 1000 rpm but it feels electronically limited. Once it's pulling, it's gentle below 2000. You can jab your foot further down (and up) but your acceleration wont change until its over 2000.

My 2009 Multijet has the 70bhp engine with waste gate turbo mounted under the manifold. The turbo wastegate has rubber hose from the air scroll to the actuator. That's it. No electronics in sight. The manifold has a pressure sensor at the top left (looking at front of car). Air flow sensing is via a MAF sensor on the turbo inlet hose. My turbo settings must be OK because boost pics up well from 2000 rpm. It pulls (gently) from 1000 rpm but it feels electronically limited. Once it's pulling, it's gentle below 2000. You can jab your foot further down (and up) but your acceleration wont change until its over 2000.
Why has a 2009 got 70HP

The 75HP was introduced in September 2005, might take 18 months to filter out old stock

By 2006 the 75HP with DPF was an option, DPF was never offered on the 70HP

Since 2009 a DPF has been mandatory

The 1.3 CDTI has gone through several modification

EURO 4 versions

Version with DPF

Versions with reduced consumption/emissions

Since 09/2009

EURO 5 versions

Back