Technical Engine cuts out….not the normal

Currently reading:
Technical Engine cuts out….not the normal

Quote -
Did it on old and new alternator​

Who knows but the signs (lights stop the engine) and fix (crank sensor fault) don't add up. One or the other has to be a red herring or you have more than one problem.

Quote -
Did it on old and new alternator​

Who knows but the signs (lights stop the engine) and fix (crank sensor fault) don't add up. One or the other has to be a red herring or you have more than one problem.
It was when heater matrix fan was on and then extra load like lights

get genuine!
I cannot agree more. I have tried non genuine parts many times and often regretted it. Its sometimes worth a punt on a cost basis. Shop4Parts offer genuine parts at good prices and seem to be a solid bet for a first time fix. My last foray into pattern parts was a borg and beck handbrake cable for my bravo. It failed day 1 and ruined a new tyre. I allowed the garage to fit it as it was half the price. Compared to the Fiat part the cable was no more than 2/3 of the thickness and the outer was too thin for the mounting point resulting in it falling out and rubbing the tyre to death. On a brake part the difference is just not acceptable, and with non safety related parts heaven only knows how near the proper spec they are. Delphi should be sound so maybe just bad luck.

Ive seen so many things that shouldnt be the cause being the cause that I no longer raise an eyebrow when something that shouldnt fix a fault does on these ECU controlled engines. I cant really see we have progressed much since the 80's with all this computerisation apart from not having any manual adjstments to tune an engine.... apart from being bambooxzled into paying for all this stuff that allows car makers to fiddle the books and give no real gain in any measurable way. In 1973 my parents both had small 2 cyliner engined cars that would do 70mph and 50 to 60mpg. I now have similar but getting the 50-60mpg takes much more concentration and effort.

Last edited:
Rant mode on
My 1985 Citroen BX Mk1 was fed by auto choke carburettor, averaged 35 mpg, handled outstandingly well and had a lovely smooth ride. It was a superb car using the well proven Peugeot engine of the time. The brakes suspension and steering were stunningly good. Far better than the crap we put up with today.

Rear brake discs rusted out due to lack of use (hand brake operated on the front) and rears where hardly needed in normal driving. How many lightly used modern cars have the same issue? It's not uncommon because manufacturers refuse to use stainless brake discs. It also developed a strange charge warning light issue that turned out to be a chafed wire popping a fuse so no power was delivered by the alternator. Other than that its was great. I was a fool to sell it.

In every respect, except for the suspension, improvements over the years have been minimal. Agreed, today's cars are safer with better crumple zones, ABS and air bags, but the later BX got most of those so what have we really gained since he late 1980s? That would be cut-n-paste identical designed boated SUVs that weigh far too much and clog small roads, because drivers can't cope with the huge bus they are forced to drive. Fiat Panda 169 is the same size as a Mk 1 VW Golf.
Mode off

Back