Technical Electronic key not recognised

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic key not recognised

Hi,
I hope someone can help me.
Got an '05 Croma 1.9 JTDm 8V.
It hadn't been used for a long time so the battery was flat, and we jumped it. It drove here but the battery didn't take charge.
Charged battery and it started the car last week.
Wanted to move the car so I gave the battery a charge from yesterday evening to about 12 today. Battery seems to be fully charged. Remote central locking works, Radio works etc.
Had also bought a new key case and changed the innards over.
The new key would not twist in the holder so moved it all back again.:mad:
Now I get nothing apart from "Electronic key not recognised".

That might sound like it reads a code and doesn't recognise it, but I can leave the key in the house and press the inside bit in and it brings up the same comment on the dash. So I think it doesn't read anything.

I don't know if the "comment" came up with the new case, wasn't looking at the dash at the time.

I would have thought that the chip with the code was passive and doesn't need battery power to work.
Hard to know if it is the coil reader or the chip in the key.:confused:

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks, Dave

Hi :)

Ive not owned a SAAB: or other GM product.. So can only offer traditional FIAT advice..

No doubt a low battery hasnt helped.. :eek:

So:

Uncouple the battery power.. let the cars electronics settle back down
Reconnect battery

Then turn the key to the point where all the dash lights do a self.test.. when that has settled

Turn the key further to crank the engine

If its still not happy read the stored fault codes

B.... and U.... are probably the relevant ones..
As that is the Body computer and its Network

The code should give a big hint as to what isnt being 'seen'

Charlie

Last edited:
Post picture of your key.
Post pictures of both halves of key shell opened.

Couple of images uploaded

Attachments

• 2021-11-13 17.30.17.jpg
    2021-11-13 17.30.17.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 2021-11-13 17.32.41.jpg
    2021-11-13 17.32.41.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 89
Some years ago we had a Kangoo, well the wife did. Rear sliding doors were great when the kids were young. I had a Coupe ?
It broke down, and after many days of trying many things I found the transponder in her handbag. Key had split in the bag, she found the two halves and put it together - not knowing there was a green bit that was supposed to fit in the middle.
Unfortunately, that experience hasn't helped me this time. ?

Some years ago we had a Kangoo, well the wife did. Rear sliding doors were great when the kids were young. I had a Coupe [emoji3]
It broke down, and after many days of trying many things I found the transponder in her handbag. Key had split in the bag, she found the two halves and put it together - not knowing there was a green bit that was supposed to fit in the middle.
Unfortunately, that experience hasn't helped me this time. [emoji20]
I was wondering if that was the case with your croma but you have already covered it.

The steering lock should release when the ignition is turn on.

Now I know you can't do this if the key is not recognised but you actually can.

Remove the emergency key from the fob. Insert the key blade into the little rectangular slot on the key unit (@ 4 o'clock) and push all the way in. Now insert the key fob and turn the ignition on.

You never know but getting full power to the car may fix your key problem.

The transponder bit is the coil thing in the narrow bit of the fob,
the solder at the ends can crack and give a poor connection
maybe when swapping the fobs.

The steering lock should release when the ignition is turn on.

Now I know you can't do this if the key is not recognised but you actually can.

Remove the emergency key from the fob. Insert the key blade into the little rectangular slot on the key unit (@ 4 o'clock) and push all the way in. Now insert the key fob and turn the ignition on.

You never know but getting full power to the car may fix your key problem.

Thank you all for your comments.

I have tried this - putting in the metal key and turning the plastic key, but nothing happens. Apart from the comment about the key not being recognised, nothing else powers up.
Radio works, windows work, Remote C/L works but nothing to do with the dash or engine ignition / starting works.

Hope OP DiamondDave has not yet scrapped his Croma. Gone awful quiet.

Unfortunately, I feel I might be there.
I have tried and checked all the relays and fuses to no avail.
Was hoping that it may have been a bad power connection but nothing.

Pity as it still has NCT (MOT) until end 1st quarter '22. Low-ish mileage, 105k miles. 18" wheels and good tyres and most important of all a good M32 gearbox not showing any signs of a problem.

The "key box" links to another control box / ECU. Anybody know where this is located? Maybe that has a bad connection or something

Also, anybody know where the OBDII connector is located? Had found on line that it should be near the fuses and relays on the right of the dash, but didn't see it there.

Thanks again, Dave

That's what I thought but I have found they need a good contact, have a look
at it see if it looks to have a crack try just pushing the contacts in a touch if that
works it's likely a cracked dry joint.

Also, anybody know where the OBDII connector is located? Had found on line that it should be near the fuses and relays on the right of the dash, but didn't see it there.

Thanks again, Dave

The EOBD socket is on the bottom centre of the fuse box under/behind the dashboard. Remove the little pocket below the 5 buttons / air vent by the steering wheel.

Back