Technical Electronic key not recognised

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic key not recognised

Read this:

http://4cardata.info/elearn/194/2/194000000/194000003/194000002/194001926

Extraction in an emergencyThe TEG can be released in any circumstances, even with the vehicle moving, through the mechanical emergency insert.In effect, if there is a fault that prevents the rotation of the TEG and it returns to the OFF position, the slot can be mechanically unlocked by following the procedure described below.- extract the back up key from the TEG;- insert the emergency key in the slot and push it right in.This manoeuvre will manually activate the unlocking of the retaining motor and the rotation of the TEG will be released.The NBS will detect that this operation has been carried out and will send a signal to the instrument panel to indicate that the steering is not locked.

Hi Dave,
I assume you only have one key. The issue is almost certainly that you have somehow damaged the transponder chip (small glass/copper tube at end of circuit board) when swapping the key case over.
Only cure is to get a new key. As you don't have a working one to clone it will have to be done by a Fiat garage.
Check your insurance policy, some will cover lost or damaged keys.
You can't disengage the steering lock electrically without a working key. There is a locking mechanisim on the seering colum. You have to drill out the tamperproof bolts on that and remove it.

Robert G8RPI.

Read this:

http://4cardata.info/elearn/194/2/194000000/194000003/194000002/194001926

Extraction in an emergencyThe TEG can be released in any circumstances, even with the vehicle moving, through the mechanical emergency insert.In effect, if there is a fault that prevents the rotation of the TEG and it returns to the OFF position, the slot can be mechanically unlocked by following the procedure described below.- extract the back up key from the TEG;- insert the emergency key in the slot and push it right in.This manoeuvre will manually activate the unlocking of the retaining motor and the rotation of the TEG will be released.The NBS will detect that this operation has been carried out and will send a signal to the instrument panel to indicate that the steering is not locked.
Unfortuantly the back-up key only allows you to remove the key from the reader. it does not over-ride the need for a working transponder. The transponder code must also match that programmed (at factory) into the TEG, sterring lock. body computer and engine ECU to start the car. This means you can't swap any of these as used parts. They have to be a set or pre-programmed for your car by Fiat (not a garage).

Robert G8RPI.

Unfortuantly the back-up key only allows you to remove the key from the reader. it does not over-ride the need for a working transponder. The transponder code must also match that programmed (at factory) into the TEG, sterring lock. body computer and engine ECU to start the car. This means you can't swap any of these as used parts. They have to be a set or pre-programmed for your car by Fiat (not a garage).

Robert G8RPI.
Yes, but according to eLearn the action should also release the steering lock which was the last query the OP had. I don't have my Croma anymore but I seem to remember if I put my finger in the the key slot you got the "key not recognised" message but then I could put the emergency key blade into the release slot and was then able to turn the key to the ON position. What I was hoping was that when the key barrel is allowed to return to OFF with the emergency blade still inserted the system would release the steering lock?

Maybe you can have a play Robert? Also I can't remember what happened or did not happen if one tried to go from the ON to the START position?

Hi,
I no longer have my Croma but did investigate this when I had an intermittent issue with the TEG. The release slot is not keyed. A plain blade of the right size operates it. All it does is mechanically release the latch in the TEG (key slot) unit. This allows you to remove the key or turn it. It's main function seems to be key removal on electrical failure but also allows you to start the car if a switch or the solenoid in the TEG fails. It does not release the steering lock unless the transponder is working. I tried this with an empty key case. This all makes sense becuase there would be no point in coding the steering lock module if you could overide it by putting bit of metal in the key release.
Seems a shame to scrap a Croma for just a key....

Probably off topic but still partly relevant?

Who want's to steal a Croma or any other older and *rarer" vehicle worth less than £1000. Joy riders possibly? County Lines drug gangs would possibly choose more common vehicles to plate clone.

So now we have "then" state of the art electronic theft protection basically causing vehicles to be binned.

Give the Croma another 5 years (or less) and Fiat will probably say it is not longer possible to supply a key. And if you have the ECU hacked then your insurance company may void your insurance after you have had an accident and you pick up a massive bill!

@g8rpi please feel free to move this to another forum category.

Back