Technical Electrical gremlins

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical gremlins

Deanofiat

Hi

So, my lad owns a Fiat Punto Mk2 and had issues with an intermittent engine cut out, which was recoverable after a short while but was putting the engine management light on. I owned a cheap and cheerful Wi-Fi obd2 scanner at the time which brought up an ignition coil fault (can’t remember the code)

Anyhow, after going round all the electrical connections under the hood, trying to get the fault to occur again, I decided that as the car had not had plugs or leads for some time, and that I might as well start there and work my way to the coil, just to see if the intermittent fault would go away.

As I remember, I’m sure the car had more than a week or so of trouble-free running, until one day it threw the fault again, it did not cut out but apparently felt like it was going to.

I then decided to buy a second-hand coil pack, which has since been fitted and all seemed good, all except for the engine management light kept randomly going on and off.

Now, I have since managed to pick up a better bidirectional scanner which has thrown these codes up:

5012 Vehicle Speed (From CAN) DELPHI Electric Steering D601 CAN Line DELPHI Electric Steering

5013 Alternator Status (From CAN) DELPHI Electric Steering

B1011 Door Lock, Motor Faulty Delphi/Marelli Body Computer

U1601 CAN Line Error, Wiring Faulty Delphi/Marelli Body Computer

U1602 CAN Line Error Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

U1600 Electronic Key Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0352 Coil 2 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0351 Coil 1 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0204 Injector 4 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0201 Injector 1 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0203 Injector 3 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0202 Injector 2 Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

P0135 Lambda 1 Heater Above Catal. Injection - Magneti Marelli IAW 4AF/4EF/59F/5AF Outside EEC

I know the steering once went heavy and the steering light came on, but that was months ago and has not happened since, but as for the rest, I was wondering if the coil may have damaged the ecu maybe?

Do you think it might be worth trying an ecu, or do you think its somewhere lurking in the wiring?

Cheers

Dean

0. Main earth cables. Check, undo, clean, protect (lubricate connections). Other wiring, harnesses, plugs under the bonnet/hood.
1. Charge the battery. I don't care what your voltmeter shows right now (so you think it's "OK").
2. Check the main fusebox for corrosion, spray some WD-40 or whatever, wiggle the fuses and relays a bit.
3. As above. Clear the codes and see what's next (what's coming back). Switch to proper Fiat oriented software (FES or MES).

Thanks all..
I've done all the above except for fes or Mes. Does that mean a laptop or can it be found in android versions?

OK, Ill have a look for a cheap laptop and usb dongle. Been doing a bit of research on them and going to go for win 7 and modded dongle with the seperate coloured adaptors, is this correct?

Mines on windows 10 on a Hewlet-packard laptop.I dont use a dongle!
I got my obd 2 elm connector from carbitssouthwales on e-bay for £22.95
when purchasing multi ecu scan google multiecuscan and choose from there !-dont go via gendan as its super expensive there!,
Multiecuscan .net is where i got mine! It cost about £43 quid last year i think?- thats for the 1 year license!-you renew it annually!

Thanks all

Yes it does have an aftermarket radio and speakers, that my lad seems to have been adding bits to every time I see it. Why do you ask?

Regards

Thanks all

Yes it does have an aftermarket radio and speakers, that my lad seems to have been adding bits to every time I see it. Why do you ask?

Regards
Because the ‘iso’ plugs on the back of the standard fiat radio carries the signals for the canbus system to the standard radio. Because of this you can’t just plug an aftermarket radio straight in, you need to modify the wiring.

You have a lot of canbus errors across multiple systems so I have to ask was an aftermarket radio just plugged straight in to those canbus wires, which is now causing all your problems

Because the ‘iso’ plugs on the back of the standard fiat radio carries the signals for the canbus system to the standard radio. Because of this you can’t just plug an aftermarket radio straight in, you need to modify the wiring.

You have a lot of canbus errors across multiple systems so I have to ask was an aftermarket radio just plugged straight in to those canbus wires, which is now causing all your problems
I like your thinking :giggle:.. OK so it now becomes a bit of a waiting game for me. Im going to pull the raidio unit at the weekend and fingers crossed I find something behind it that may be causing issues.. Im pretty sure the radio was in way before the cutting out issue though, but I guess that problem is no longer an issue, its just the scan codes, and Im not sure how long the canbus has shown a fault.
Ive ordered a usb dongle and found an old laptop so might also have means of a second opinion scan at the weekend.

Back