Electric Police Cars?

Currently reading:
Electric Police Cars?

Attachments

• police-iMiEV2.jpg
    police-iMiEV2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We've trialled them with great results. The first time we pursued some fleeing felons we just waitied until they ran our way and tripped them up with the flex.

They could actually have some use in a very local area like where I work as it only covers a small geographical area, but, our vehicles can easily cover 100 miles a day without ever leaving The Airport. The advantage would be that cars and vans would never be more than 3 or 4 miles from a charging point.

The downside could be that as it's almost impossible to totally manage the vehicles there could be a situation where there are some queueing up for the chargers and others unable to get in before running out. Don't forget that Police cars and vans can use a lot of power from lights and radios. A pair of rear flashing reds can flatten a normal car battery in a couple of hours and a radio left on for 8 hours could have the same effect.

I'm sure they'll get there in the end. As for being slow, don't forget that an electric motor can produce maximum torque almost immediately which means quick acceleration.

I'm sure they'll get there in the end. As for being slow, don't forget that an electric motor can produce maximum torque almost immediately which means quick acceleration.
Electric vehicles are only slow if you make them slow - http://www.teslamotors.com/ - 0-60 in 3.9 seconds - faster than the Elise, despite it carrying around half a ton of battery.

I can understand the uses of it in the city centre, but in the sticks where I used to live it would be useless as would not be many points to charge it up and cover quite large areas.

lol they cant keep up with half the cars round here anyhow what chance they got with a damn hairdryer *overtakes on a pushbike*

But on the Hagley/Pershore/Bristol Road at 5pm on a weekday no-one is going to be flooring it, so thats where it would be more efficient than using a normal petrol engine.

But on the Hagley/Pershore/Bristol Road at 5pm on a weekday no-one is going to be flooring it, so thats where it would be more efficient than using a normal petrol engine.

hmm i see your point.

roi on thm is gonna be crap though as they will only be any use in rush hour etc so relative cost of an electric and petrol car of equal performance petrol wins tbh

Back