Technical EGR valve.

Currently reading:
Technical EGR valve.

Hi all,
Bare with me, i know this subject has been done to death, but i'm just after some clarification before i go any futher.
From what i understand/have read i can blank the EGR valve off as long as i leave it in place, and the valve actually operates and this will prevent any error messages on my car, is that correct, or have i misunderstood ?
Phil D.

Hi all,
Bare with me, i know this subject has been done to death, but i'm just after some clarification before i go any futher.
From what i understand/have read i can blank the EGR valve off as long as i leave it in place, and the valve actually operates and this will prevent any error messages on my car, is that correct, or have i misunderstood ?
Phil D.
Hi, from my experience on my Multipla, it threw a code when I blanked the EGR.
I’d seen people drill a small hole in the plate to let enough gas through to stop the code, but not enough to be effective as an EGR (but hadn’t attempted myself).
The only other option would be to “code out” the EGR on the ECU.

Hi, from my experience on my Multipla, it threw a code when I blanked the EGR.
I’d seen people drill a small hole in the plate to let enough gas through to stop the code, but not enough to be effective as an EGR (but hadn’t attempted myself).
The only other option would be to “code out” the EGR on the ECU.
See, this is where i get confused, after trawling through all the replies i can find on the subject, there seems to be 2 trains of thought, 1 is that blanking off the EGR will bring up a fault code, because of the lack of gas flow, 2, that the car doesn't measure the gas flow, just the operation of the actuator/valve piston and as long as that is working you wont get a fault code, so my question is which is correct ?

All I can do is say what happened when I did it on my Multipla Multijet.
Blank inserted and EGR left connected gave me a code (sorry, can’t remember exactly which one it threw).

But did you clean the existing EGR ? so that the actuator still activated, from what i understand, it's the difference in resistance of the actuator solenoid that send the signal to the ECU and if the actuator is gunked up and wont operate, then this will result in an error code.

But did you clean the existing EGR ? so that the actuator still activated, from what i understand, it's the difference in resistance of the actuator solenoid that send the signal to the ECU and if the actuator is gunked up and wont operate, then this will result in an error code.
Yeah, it was clean. It threw a code when blanked, and didn't when the blank was removed and previous code cleared. Repeated several times, and result was consistent.

No it measures gas flow as well, I have tried to hook it a new egr with a blanking plate and it still gives a code.

Hi Charlie,

Mk1 multipla jtd non multijet ....if egr valve unplugged...no engine malfunction light.
100% certain.
Multiecuscan will show an egr valve fault but engine warning light stays off.

Best wishes

Jack

It appears later multijet ecu can detect change in inlet mas air flow when egr valve opens and so turn on MIL light if no egr flow

Wonder if a small hole in the plate would help, just to give it a small flow.

If you still have the old egr and the electronics work connect it up
instead of the one on the car and see what happens, the old egr should
keep that side of things happy and because of the fitted egr being closed
it will be the same as having a blanking plate fitted so it should put a
light on if it does since flow.

If you still have the old egr and the electronics work connect it up
instead of the one on the car and see what happens, the old egr should
keep that side of things happy and because of the fitted egr being closed
it will be the same as having a blanking plate fitted so it should put a
light on if it does since flow.
I don't have the old EGR valve that i swapped 3 years ago, and i'm not sure what you're getting at !

I’m in the same situation, I put a new one on about three months ago and it worked for about a week so I pulled the connection off and it ran perfectly, but the engine management lamp was up, the mot is due so I decided to buy a second one as I had lost the receipt for the first one, that was the same it was ok for a couple of days and then it ran roughly at low revs and kept cutting out, I removed the plug again and it runs perfectly, so I left the agr in place and removed the actuator part of it so left with the valve but held shut with a spring, I then plugged the actuator in but it wasn’t connected to the valve, and again it ran roughly, so it must look at flow as well as positioning of the valve,
At a loss as to why the second one won’t run .

I’m in the same situation, I put a new one on about three months ago and it worked for about a week so I pulled the connection off and it ran perfectly, but the engine management lamp was up, the mot is due so I decided to buy a second one as I had lost the receipt for the first one, that was the same it was ok for a couple of days and then it ran roughly at low revs and kept cutting out, I removed the plug again and it runs perfectly, so I left the agr in place and removed the actuator part of it so left with the valve but held shut with a spring, I then plugged the actuator in but it wasn’t connected to the valve, and again it ran roughly, so it must look at flow as well as positioning of the valve,
At a loss as to why the second one won’t run .
I changed the 1st one simply because of the engine management light coming on, and the fault code for the EGR coming up on code reader. I have never had a issue with rough running and it lasted 3 years before the light came on again, maybe you have another issue running along side the EGR problem.

The car is running fine all be it with a management lamp up due to the egr electrical plug disconnected, Today I borrowed a code reader, with the electrical connector off the egr I was getting the egr fault code as expected, I then plugged the egr back in and as before the engine wouldn’t run without cutting out, I then reset the egr management code using the reader and it runs fine now with no fault lamp on the dashboard, perhaps all it wanted was the fault code resetting, time will tell to see if it comes back up.

Back