Technical Eco Active Ignition Barrel

Currently reading:
Technical Eco Active Ignition Barrel

EcoActive

Hi all, very pleased with my 09 Eco Active 1.1 collected on Monday. I notice the ignition key barrel is difficult to turn and sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to start the car. Is it a good idea to spray lube into the lock? Would it be difficult or expensive to replace the ignition switch and keys?

Hi all, very pleased with my 09 Eco Active 1.1 collected on Monday. I notice the ignition key barrel is difficult to turn
Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel slightly as you rotate the key
and sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to start the car. I

Does the car turn over but not start

Or

Do you turn the key and nothing happens (often the gearbox earth)

s it a good idea to spray lube into the lock?

No

May work in short term. But will gum up eventually. You can put some thinned oil on a key and insert the key in the lock, you can buy special carbon powder. I use engine oil thinned in meths

Would it be difficult
No
or expensive to replace the ignition switch
Cheap
and keys?
You don't need new keys if just the ignition switch is changed

Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel slightly as you rotate the key

Does the car turn over but not start

Or

Do you turn the key and nothing happens (often the gearbox earth)

No

May work in short term. But will gum up eventually. You can put some thinned oil on a key and insert the key in the lock, you can buy special carbon powder. I use engine oil thinned in meths

No

Cheap

You don't need new keys if just the ignition switch is changed
Hi Koalar, Thank you for that. I had an idea spraying lube into the barrel was not necessarily a good idea. The lock barrel is the actual problem, it is obviously worn causing stiction. Provided I can rotate the key far enough the car starts fine. I can cope with this but I am afraid my significant other will likely freak out and possibly break the key rather than patiently wiggling it to achieve the required rotation. I assume new barrel and keys will be expensive?

Make sure it's not a worn key

Changing a ignition barrel and key is easy

You will just have two different key

About £20

Doing it properly with a complete set and changing the ignition block as well would be a right pain

I’ve had my ignition lock and switch apart. I stripped and rebuilt the switch before discovering that new ones are cheap. My lock was fine. It’s not a difficult job.

Back