Technical Ignition switch

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition switch

Can I replace my 2004's switch with one of these?
The pictures shows the wrong key
The pictures shows the wrong barrel

The discriptions right

Might just have the wrong pictures, anyone's guess

Even with the right key and barrel it does not end there

And how you go about it will vary according to which keys you normally use,

Remote if you get a new key blade cut and fitted you will be able to open the car with the remote and start it, you will have to carry an original as well incase say the button on the remote or battery fails

If you only use the manual key, you will have to carry both keys one for the door one for the ignition, then you have two options, one get the key programed , I can't see in the ebay listing if there is a blank transponder fitted or not or two cut both keys open and swap the transponder chip over, some third party keys clip together, easy job, some are glued together, not for the faint hearted

Personly if I had to change the ignition I would change as a set boot and door so I only had to carry one key

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The pictures shows the wrong key
The pictures shows the wrong barrel

The discriptions right

Might just have the wrong pictures, anyone's guess

Even with the right key and barrel it does not end there

And how you go about it will vary according to which keys you normally use,

Remote if you get a new key blade cut and fitted you will be able to open the car with the remote and start it, you will have to carry an original as well incase say the button on the remote or battery fails

If you only use the manual key, you will have to carry both keys one for the door one for the ignition, then you have two options, one get the key programed , I can't see in the ebay listing if there is a blank transponder fitted or not or two cut both keys open and swap the transponder chip over, some third party keys clip together, easy job, some are glued together, not for the faint hearted

Personly if I had to change the ignition I would change as a set boot and door so I only had to carry one key
Thanks.
I was hoping to fit a new barrel and have the key for that on the keyring as well as the key for the door and tailgate. I do not mind carrying an extra key. As for the remote I tend not to use that (I use the spare manual key that I have) so I could leave the remote at home. Am I right in assuming that the car does not have a sensor in the barrel??

My problem is that the ignition switch is starting to refuse to turn and needs some jiggling of the ignition key.

Yes the transponder is in the key

The aerial/antenna is seperate ring that clips to the front

IMG_20231109_155609.jpg

I would sort the original barrel out by filing the wafers slightly

File and shamfer the side bar

Clean and you are good to go

There's a few different videos here is one example

Back