General Dual logic stuck on neutral

Currently reading:
General Dual logic stuck on neutral

£1200 plus vat :(

My dads sourced a gearbox with 14k on it apparently complete for £500, is the actuator a part of the gearbox or would you expect to buy it seperately from a complete gearbox? I'm happy to fit another gearbox for her to save £700.

Cheers!

£1200 plus vat :(

My dads sourced a gearbox with 14k on it apparently complete for £500, is the actuator a part of the gearbox or would you expect to buy it seperately from a complete gearbox? I'm happy to fit another gearbox for her to save £700.

Cheers!

Which part of the actuator? That's far to much. I'm having new clutch and clutch slave (similar thing actuator on the Panda does) for £700 all in at a main dealer currently on my Bravo.

Actuator unit (several actuator bits which control different bits) sit on top of the gearbox, so a replacement box will probably be pointless as they'll have stripped the actuator unit from it.

This is probably what you need but sold :(
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selespeed...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd45e5b1e

The above is what they probably want to replace out of laziness and ease of not having to diagnose what part of it is at fault. Think of it like being told you need a whole new engine as there is a misfire and they can't be bothered to workout the cause of it.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Was it a franchised main dealer :confused:

sorry, thought i'd replied to ya!

yes it is a franchised dealer.

my mams away at the mo so it's still there.

she rang them yesterday and they have said there are 3/4 different errors coming up with the actuator and because each part is circa £300 and you could replace one and it not solve anything as one of the other sensors was throwing the other out, kind of makes sense but i'm not sure how true this is.. i'm pretty clueless when it comes to the dual logic.

do you know where i could buy the actuator itself from and how i could find out about fitting? sorry to keep bugging ya :eek::p

i have contacted a few breakers selling gearboxes and asking if the actuator is still attatched and supplied to the gearbox, if not i could always buy a used one but i'm not sure about that! not until i'm sure about fitting anyway.

Just had word about the used gearbox, I asked if it included the actuator and he said it comes complete, i don't think he knows what an actuator is.. Neither do I to be fair lol!

I'll have to find out before I go to see this one so I can check its there

The actuator will be the part I posted in the eBay link above, so make sure that's sitting on the box.

You sound like me, and not afraid to get your hands dirty. My understanding is its a few hours work, although don't hold me to that.

You'll likely need to remove the battery and battery tray for better access, but should be able to do it with the box remaining in place.

If buying a complete box with actuator attached, you should be able to easily see how the actuator comes off of the box when playing with the donor.

You can then keep the donor box as a spare, or sell it on to recoup some £.

The actuator will be the part I posted in the eBay link above, so make sure that's sitting on the box.

You sound like me, and not afraid to get your hands dirty. My understanding is its a few hours work, although don't hold me to that.

You'll likely need to remove the battery and battery tray for better access, but should be able to do it with the box remaining in place.

If buying a complete box with actuator attached, you should be able to easily see how the actuator comes off of the box when playing with the donor.

You can then keep the donor box as a spare, or sell it on to recoup some £.

oh yeah, duh! i forgot about the link, excellent!

yeah i like to get stuck in, i've got a level 3 city and guild in mechanics and have been doing a lot of mechanical work on the side recently (y) i just know very little about the dual logic but it's good to learn.

but yeah i had already thought about swapping the actuators over or just leaving the known good gearbox intact and switching the whole gearbox over putting a new clutch in at the same time since it's done 70k around town on the original.

i can get the 18k gearbox for £450 which isn't bad, a lot better than the £1300 the garage wants!

i'm off to find out more about what's involved.. hopefully nothing needs resetting or calibrating :p it does seem do able though and if it saves my mother £700+ i'm happy to spend a day on her car (y)

The only one thing I would advise is that around 2008 (give or take a year) there were some minor changes. I'm not 100% sure what these were, but it means the CS Speed fluid reservoir changed (I know this as had to order one for a 2009 accident damaged Selespeed Panda and the dealer informed me as I'd found a new one on eBay, but was the pre change unit.

Might not make a difference if changing the whole unit, but worth considering.

Back