Technical Driving without a DPF (it was stolen) - how to stop DPF cleaning?

Currently reading:
Technical Driving without a DPF (it was stolen) - how to stop DPF cleaning?

bazmonaut

Hi all

I wondered if anyone knew how to stop the DPF from cleaning? Can I disconnect the pressure differential sensor or something?

My DPF was stolen some weeks ago while I was parked up in a carpark (2012 3.0 Power, with the Comfortmatic box). After a brief fight, this was covered by my insurance company. A new (genuine Fiat) DPF is on backorder but the garage doesn't know when it will be available - it is likely to be weeks. This is a bit of a problem for me as I am living in the van at present.

The garage of course could not recommend driving without the DPF. However, I've been with them for many years and they know me, and know that I am living in my van. They cautioned me about a fire and fumes risk as the exhaust now exits the system under the driver's seat. I have been driving the van as little as possible, and checking that there are no fumes coming through.

If you have any specific concerns I'd like to hear them, but I am well aware that it is illegal/unhealthy etc to drive without a DPF. This situation is not of my making and I am driving as little as possible.

Aside from the very noisy exhaust, things seemed to be OK in the few trips I took. However, last week the 'DPF cleaning' message came up - I suspect that this is not a coincidence, as the message appears when the engine has just started and is stone cold. I thought that I could just let it have its way, so I drove for 2 hours on the motorway. A nice long run that should allow it to complete a cycle. This didn't work, and the message comes up every few minutes when I am driving (and then goes away). When the message is on the dash I can definately notice the engine running differently, also there is a strong diesel smell outside the vehicle with a little dark smoke.

I suspect that I am going to have to put a cheap non-genuine DPF in it while I am waiting for the genuine one. However even the "cheap" ones are not cheap. If I can get it to stop trying to clean the non-existant DPF then I can limp around for the couple of trips a week that I need to do.

Any advice?

I have multiecuscan and a OBDLink connecter but the b****d thing just won't connect. I have cleared codes via OBDwiz (and the same OBDLink connector). I have a KL VAGCOM connector so I am going to try that next. To add to my woes, I have the Selespeed box... I had some issues with 'gear not available' a while ago but 'fixed' them with a new battery (yes, I couldn't believe it either). The issue is now back... no idea if it is related.

Hi all

I wondered if anyone knew how to stop the DPF from cleaning? Can I disconnect the pressure differential sensor or something?

My DPF was stolen some weeks ago while I was parked up in a carpark (2012 3.0 Power, with the Comfortmatic box). After a brief fight, this was covered by my insurance company. A new (genuine Fiat) DPF is on backorder but the garage doesn't know when it will be available - it is likely to be weeks. This is a bit of a problem for me as I am living in the van at present.

The garage of course could not recommend driving without the DPF. However, I've been with them for many years and they know me, and know that I am living in my van. They cautioned me about a fire and fumes risk as the exhaust now exits the system under the driver's seat. I have been driving the van as little as possible, and checking that there are no fumes coming through.

If you have any specific concerns I'd like to hear them, but I am well aware that it is illegal/unhealthy etc to drive without a DPF. This situation is not of my making and I am driving as little as possible.

Aside from the very noisy exhaust, things seemed to be OK in the few trips I took. However, last week the 'DPF cleaning' message came up - I suspect that this is not a coincidence, as the message appears when the engine has just started and is stone cold. I thought that I could just let it have its way, so I drove for 2 hours on the motorway. A nice long run that should allow it to complete a cycle. This didn't work, and the message comes up every few minutes when I am driving (and then goes away). When the message is on the dash I can definately notice the engine running differently, also there is a strong diesel smell outside the vehicle with a little dark smoke.

I suspect that I am going to have to put a cheap non-genuine DPF in it while I am waiting for the genuine one. However even the "cheap" ones are not cheap. If I can get it to stop trying to clean the non-existant DPF then I can limp around for the couple of trips a week that I need to do.

Any advice?

I have multiecuscan and a OBDLink connecter but the b****d thing just won't connect. I have cleared codes via OBDwiz (and the same OBDLink connector). I have a KL VAGCOM connector so I am going to try that next. To add to my woes, I have the Selespeed box... I had some issues with 'gear not available' a while ago but 'fixed' them with a new battery (yes, I couldn't believe it either). The issue is now back... no idea if it is related.
Sorry to hear of your woes. Have you enquired with shop4parts. They are good prices and very helpful.

Back