Technical DPF Sensor Repair - 2013 Ducato P2454

Currently reading:
Technical DPF Sensor Repair - 2013 Ducato P2454

SBQ

Fiat Ducato / Swift Campervan Conversion
Year: 2013
130 Multijet Comfortmatic Auto

For a good month the check engine light was intermittent, then progressively went persistent. Scan code reader came with P2454 Low Voltage error which points to the DPF Sensor. Where I am in NZ, Fiat repairs are expensive and your chances are just as good as DIY. I had no loss of power or 'limp mode' so did not seem to have the urgency to bring it to the dealer. Instead I ordered a new DPF sensor off AliExpress.

While many have online have expressed problems with sourcing Made in China parts, I must say in this situation, there is no difference. Some have gone to the dealer for which was advise to replace with a newer updated DPF sensor which required an adapter cable. Above photo is the original DPF sensor Kavlico PE604-5015-1 Fiat part# 552103040. Others have noted this part fits on other makes / model vehicles that require a DPF.

Above AliExpress part I used to replace original Kavlico. I must say in every way the part looks identical. Right down to the molding and 'Patended' imprints, without the Kavlico sticker label. The seller supplied the wire connector as a precaution as some have mentioned a different cable fitting. In my case it was a direct fit.

There's not much ground clearance so I used a jack to lift 5" which helps a lot when moving your arms around from underneath. The most difficult part are the hose clips. Gentle squeeze to release the clip but a challenge to spring fit the hose clips back on. I used the end of a flat head screw driver (wee small one) placed behind where the metal clip, clips on.

The cause of this problem? Some say due to driving habits. Since 2013 we've only put on 88,000 kms which mostly is all highway driving. Lots of hard steep hills that would keep the RPMs high as some say the clogging of the DPF is caused by labouring / low RPM driving over long duration. I don't believe a slightly clogged DPF is the cause and more over, with P2454 error, it's directly a fault with the sensor.

Last edited:
Recently I was speaking to a retired Fiat Camper van mechanic and he was saying the DPF pressure sensor was one of the first things they would go to as a known issue on later vans.
By the way there is a nice little pair of pliers available that releases and refits those clips, one side of the jaws is thinner than the other, so you just turn them around to suit.:)

This was a known problem on x250s, with condensation and pipe blockages. One guy i know had same problem 3 times, so i bought a spare to find new sensor and on the X290 its now mountwed high up in the engine bay on the firewall as apposed to low at exhaust level. So not heard of it being a prevelent problem any more.
PS i think the pliers mentioned are known as clic R. about £6 from ebay

Back