Technical Drivers door will not open using external door handle

Currently reading:
Technical Drivers door will not open using external door handle

Tried to open drivers door this morning, ( very frosty ) , all locks working on central locking ( 3 door ) but door would not open, pulled on external door handle which moves but still does not release door. Have had this happen before and poured hot water down ouside of door to put some heat into panel to release door latch as it's been frozen in past but that didnt work, managed to open passenger door and then opened drivers door from inside door handle which worked. Tried to lock and unlock drivers door again which still works but again external door handle does not open door. Door opens and closes properly and locks but I can only open the door using the inside door handle.

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions.

Mark

yep frequent occurance on here once sub freezing temps.
theres a cable dropping verticle down door from handle to inner handle , I found the cable would freeze, then when forced would stick in open position as yours is.
more heat on door panel, inch or two from handle end and down towards middle of door and down towards door middle.
I put a guide on here with pics of how to lubricate the cable, id try a penetrating oil first maybe let it displace all moisture then a wd40 or thicker spray oil to coat the cable, then a blob of thick grease on the top end.
ive had no trouble for a few years now.
thread here
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/219318-cant-open-doors-outside-when-its-freezing.html
but pics ran out will see if I still have on laptop

Last edited:
Thanks Sussex,
Just tried method from your post, unfortunately it looks like the cable has pulled off the top as no cable is visible, also checked passenger side and I can see that cable. Looks like it's got to be door card off. Any views on how top cable fastens inside door as I fear that I may have broken the inside cable attachment if I pulled on it too hard this morning in bit to open door. Don't really want to pull door apart if I'm going to need new parts is something in snapped.

Before trying to dismantle the door, loosen the torx screw holding the lock barrel in, pull the barrel out, remove the outer handle and have a look down the hole to see if you can spot anything broken.

See here for diagram: Fiat Eper

Fully dismantling the door is not fun, especially in this weather!

Last edited:
Nothing visible broken so bit the bullet and started to dismantle door to see if any thing visible. Nothing obvious so reassembled as it was getting too damn cold outside. Now the damn thing won't open at all. Can hear the cable being pulled on internal door latch so not sure if I disturbed the connection to the door latch.
So now the bigger problem is how to get the door open again when all handles won't work

Last edited:
Mine does this occasionally, but mine is not related to temperature because it also happens during the summer months.

I unlock the car with the remote then pull the driver's outer handle but the door doesn't open. If I then use the key to unlock it, the door will open.

Back