Technical Driver's door lock not unlocking from outside

Currently reading:
Technical Driver's door lock not unlocking from outside

This sounds possible, but do you really throw the teeth away? Don't they serve a purpose?

Yes i did, not all only few which were damaged, in this way i saved the cost of new locks .

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread, my cylinder is broken, if i order a new one will i be able to recode it to my key?
Also, How do you remove the teeth, is there something locking them in? i pulled hard with the pliers and no joy...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.34.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.34.56.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 18
You don't remove the locks barrel's pins) tumbler's once it has been built you can't alter it nor can you recut your key for a new lock
It would need a new lock barrel and a new blank key cutting to fit it

They can be striped down,remove the silver top,and remove the locking strip(from memory)but put key in and file flat with a file,and it will work with the key.

Thanks for the clarification portland_bill - i quite agree that the car being broken into is highly unlikely using any method, unless someone wanted to steal the raisin encrusted child seats out of the back, in which case i'd kind of feel sorry for them.

I did actually try rubbing a pencil on the key to get some graphite on there (it worked great on my front door key a few years ago), but yes you're right it needs taking out and examining properly, with a good clean while i'm in there.

I am also considering changing it to remote locking if cleaning doesn't work and it all needs replacing anyway.
This is why I'm here today, someone broke in to my little white Panda, likely using a screwdriver punched down behind the handle pushing the rod that opens the door - this sort of broke the lock, - I think it made the lock unaligned with the front, so the key went in crooked for 6 months and it slowly became worse and worse since, until we now can't get a key in there, and it's super unintuitive to get the lock cylinder out o_O

Back in the early '90s I had a Rover Montego broken into. They were notoriously insecure. Thankfully it had locks on both doors so I took the passenger side lock and fitted it to driver's side. A blank cover went into the passenger door. But to solve the break-in problem I epoxied metal plates inside the doors around the locks, big enough to protect the mechanisms inside and stop the barrels spinning when attacked with a screwdriver. I also always used a steering lock stop.

That lot wont stop brute force (smashed windows, etc) but it will stop joy riders. Not that Pandas generally attract those idiots.

Back