Drink Driving

Currently reading:
Drink Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
would a pat on the back be more appropriate?
what reaction would you expect?you realise any drink driver puts YOUR life at risk along with every motorist/pedestrian/people who live near roads etc?
in my fathers last 'incident' (to my knowledge) he hospitalised a father who drove for a living.
he didnt give a thought to this guys family or livliehood when he got behind the wheel

Randomman said:
And its great to see people jumping on the band wagon against someone they dont know btw. Real motivating stuff

I didn't know the drink driver who killed my friend's uncle. Does that mean I'm not allowed to think of him in negative terms? Will that bring him back to his wife and kids and nephews?

And Newboi, credit to you for your last post and admitting the error of your ways. However, the reason why there is name calling is because there is so much publicity about the effects and dangers of drink driving that to go out and still do it after all that...

If more cases are highlited and more people shamed when they do commit such a crime then perhaps it will act as more of a deterant to others who might contemplate doing something similar in the future.

But one thing is clear, you can't expect any sympathy for posting up on a public forum that you've been convicted for drink driving. Put it another way. If a forum member said they've been convicted of being a paedophile and they've been fined and given a restraining order what kind of reaction would that get from everyone? Both are crimes, both are commited by choice of the individual and both should be seen as socially unacceptable and garner no sympathy.

And as mentioned, if my best mate drank and drove or got done for drink driving I'd still call him a prick. Mates are there to stop each other doing stupid things as well as support each other...

custard said:
you realise any drink driver puts YOUR life at risk along with every motorist/pedestrian/people who live near roads etc?
wheel

Yeah I realise that, I WAS IN THE CAR.

Was anyone killed? No, was it silly? Yes. Are you still going on about me daring to defend a mate? Yes.

Next question

oh arguing on a thread instead of using the report button is also against the rules.
as for not thinking you deserve to be called a prick for drink driving then you are soo very wrong.
if i shot a gun into a crowd of people but the bullet didn't hit anyone would it be unfair if i was called a prick?

dave said:
oh arguing on a thread instead of using the report button is also against the rules.
as for not thinking you deserve to be called a prick for drink driving then you are soo very wrong.
if i shot a gun into a crowd of people but the bullet didn't hit anyone would it be unfair if i was called a prick?

A) im sure thats totally the same situation.
B) yes you would be, but would you like to be called it on here

I did drink and drive once, when I was young and stoopid! Turned up on my girlfriends doorstep and woke the whole household up and ended up in conversation with her old man on the doorstep... so I thought! Until he told me the next day I spent about 10 minutes shouting at him in a slurred fashion and then told me if I ever did that with his daughter in the car he would beat me senseless! (Alcohol IN - Rational thought OUT)

Now I tend to always drive and set myself a nil alcohol limit... you get some funny looks trying to get served a alcohol free larger shandy (what happened to St. Christopher & Caliber :confused: ) so end up on soft drinks! Drinking cola all night isn't ideal, soooo gassy :(

Would'nt say its exclusive to / or mainly youngsters either, missus used to work at the local British Legion and the 50 + posse should be old enough to know better... but I have picked her up after work some nights and the old dears can hardly walk across the car park un-aided yet still manage to get behind the wheel and drive home! Then they cry FOUL if the police are at the bottom of the legion's drive picking them off :rolleyes:

1986Uno45S said:
Ok, innocent question here. I will defend my mates, and also support them when they need me.

Why did you let him drive if he was over the limit, and if he insisted on driving why did you still go in the car as a passenger?

I too was over the limit, by more. And I felt that it was safe to do so. Obviously its not my right to judge other people (like some folk on here) but I judged my own safety and got in the car.

Randomman said:
I too was over the limit, by more. And I felt that it was safe to do so. Obviously its not my right to judge other people (like some folk on here) but I judged my own safety and got in the car.

Well, your judgment was impaired and therefore incorrect as your mate was also over the limit. But in the worse case scenario, supposing he had a serious accident wouldn't you have to question your judgement then? We know he's your mate, but the only way to make drink driving obsolete is to make it socially unacceptable and a complete no - no.

I would not go out with friends in their car if I knew they were going to drink, it's really just not worth the risk to life or licence. Likewise when I do go out with friends in a car one of us will be designated a driver and will NOT drink any alcohol. That is also my policy whenever I drive - no alcohol whatsoever. For me it's the safest and most secure option, and one where I know my judgement will be correct.

At the end of the day, what's done is done and hopefully all will learn from it. Perhaps you won't understand the strength of feeling from some members towards drink driving Randomman, but until you've experienced first hand the effect of what a drink driver can do to people's lives perhaps you won't understand the emotions it generates. Especially when yet another driver ignores all the warnings and drives over the limit.

Well I'm gonna leave this one to get back on topic. But I dont know how much respect I could give myself for openly calling someone a prick, especially if I didnt know them, didnt know the situation (I can safely say that it was not just a case of a lift home, but one serious enough to justify irrational thought, not justify doing it, just justify the line of thought)

Oh whats that, you dont know what the situation was? I thought certain people here knew everything dont they?

Now make yourselves useful and go and give grief to the forums out there inciting racial hatred or something. Cos you've made your opinion well enough known here

Last edited:
Randomman said:
A) im sure thats totally the same situation.
B) yes you would be, but would you like to be called it on here
drink driving is very much like waving a loaded gun around in public actually. and if i did it and posted it on here, i might not like being called a prick on here but would expect it and have to put up with it, and hope no mates come on and make the thread more popular so more people will see it

I always saw drink driving as an offense of the elderly as the law wasn't introduced until 1966. However i am astionished that someone could be naive enough to do it now. Its not a case of being caught, its a case of going to prison for manslaughter and destroying many peoples lives. I won't judge you for what you did however i hope you have realised how serious your lack of judgement was. The answer is simple "Don't drink and drive"

Randomman said:
Oh whats that, you dont know what the situation was? I thought certain people here knew everything dont they?

We hear about this 'situation', but as yet it hasn't been explained. Until you enlighten the rest of the forum on what this situation was, all we know is that you got into a car with someone who was prepared to drive whilst over the legal limit.

Besides, didn't you say:

Randomman said:

So whatever the situation was you deemed it ok to get into someone elses car whilst you were intoxicated, and in the process you must have thought that they were in a fit state to drive too because you didn't stop them?

What was the situation that justified driving over the limit? Why don't you tell us?

Newboi said:
Was funny in the court when they said my fine was £270 and would I be able to pay it within 28 days, I smiled and said I can pay it right now if u want :p

I'm sorry, but that's prickish behaviour right there in that very quote. No remorse, just arrogance IMO. In fatc, I'd probably be downright ashamed of myself if I was even up in court, let alone found guilty!

You drink, you definately DO NOT drive.

1986Uno45S said:
Until you enlighten the rest of the forum on what this situation was, all we know is that you got into a car with someone who was prepared to drive whilst over the legal limit.

Which is the automotive equivalent of playing Russian Roulette IMO.

A driver under the influence has left me in my current situation.

8 years ago I got in a car with two mates, we had alll been drinking that day but rational thought had gone long ago, what ensued was a 100mph crash into a large roundabout, no injuries but my mate who did the driving has had a 1.2 Fiesta for a few years and struggles to get good quotes for his motorbike even now.

He's still my mate, I wouldn't turn my back on him when alcohol affected his better judgement, life ain't planned out, **** happens, Newboi ain't the first caught and won't be the last, our reaction to this will hopefully deter fellow forumers.

Liam

which is made no better by the alcohol they consume.

a question i have is had he done it before? and if he hadn't of been caught would he have done it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back