Technical Door adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Door adjustment

forzaf1

Having recently replaced the original door with another (original damaged), it was put on but as you can see, it's not lined up at the top and the top frame doesn't sit flush into the roof lining.

Any ideas what can be adjusted to make it more flush?

Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

• 20201116_153634.jpg
    20201116_153634.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20201116_153642.jpg
    20201116_153642.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 30
@typecastboy is our resident expert at sorting out this sort of thing. He's rebuilt loads of written off 500's.

Experienced bodyshop types often fix this sort of thing by winding down the window and applying force to the frame. Knowing exactly how much force, and precisely where to apply it, is the trick.

Many years ago, I took delivery of a new high end company car which had a similar problem. The local franchised dealer told me to bring it in on Tuesday afternoon, when a specific fitter would be working. He took it away, and brought it back five minutes later with the door fitting perfectly. I asked him what he had done. "You wouldn't want to know" was his reply.

The moral of this story is that if you're struggling with the fit, take it to a small independent bodyshop. They'll likely have at least one chap there who knows just what to do to get it right, and shouldn't charge you a great deal for doing it.

Reminds me of the time I replaced a run of fitted kitchen doors; once I'd worked out exactly what each of the adjustment screws did, it didn't take too long to get everything lined up.

Last edited:
There is some adjustment by loosening the bolts on the door side of the hinge. You do have to be careful here though as these will allow for some movement back to front as well as in and out so you could end up messing up your gap lines.

It is also possible that your new door is bent. If the old one, albeit damaged fitted like that properly, then there's no reason why the new one shouldn't just sit in the right place.

Did your new door come with the hinge parts attached to the door? If not, that's probably your problem.

There is some adjustment by loosening the bolts on the door side of the hinge. You do have to be careful here though as these will allow for some movement back to front as well as in and out so you could end up messing up your gap lines.

It is also possible that your new door is bent. If the old one, albeit damaged fitted like that properly, then there's no reason why the new one shouldn't just sit in the right place.

Did your new door come with the hinge parts attached to the door? If not, that's probably your problem.

Thank you. Was salvaged and had everything attached. Even though the door appears straight, I do wonder if there is a slight bend it in somewhere. It sits fine almost everywhere else, but the higher up the door, the more it starts to look less flush.

I bought a stolen recovered sport which had been entered by prising something through the top of the passenger door and it looked very similar to yours but in the middle. You couldn’t see a bend but the door stuck out. I used my slide hammer to straighten it. Worked a treat.

As said before,open window,but then open door,fit block of wood wedged on door catch and door frame to stop door closing and push gently on top of frame to bend top in,but don’t crack the paint.Little and often,rather than all out !

Back