Technical Doblo V Berlingo

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo V Berlingo

I know this is fiat forum, but I've been looking around to replace my 3 year old doblo jtd, the cheapest I've been offered a 1.9jtd is £8900, in fact the 1.3jtd is more expensive at £9200, alternatively, dixons have offered my a 1.6 HDI diesel berlingo mpv. for £8300 whats peoples oppinions ?
..... cheers

incidently, If anyone on here is interested I'm looking for offers over £4000 for my doblo, its on an 04 plate march 2004, with 41000 miles on, the model is the 1.9jtd active in blue. The only problem I've had with it was the gearbox, which is well documented on here, it now has a recon box (2 year warranty) and a new clutch (12 month warranty) both fitted recently.
Apart from the box, I've had no other trouble whatsoever with it.

Perhaps you should pop it in the Classifieds section on the site, it's free!

As far as it goes when I was looking between the two, every survey I read, every one I test drove I always preferred the Doblo. Although I started looking at the Berlingo/Partner I found that they were slightly smaller than the Doblo, engines weren't as powerful, fuel consumption wasn't as good etc etc.

But it's down to what you prefer really...

yea, I must agree, I previously had an 02 doblo, I got the feeling that the 02 was better built than my current one, but the berlingo is not as rubust.
I'm surprised that fiat havent realised that a new birlingo can be bought cheaper though,I always found the fiats to be cheaper, has anyone been offered a new doblo less than £8800 ?

I read a three way review of the Doblo, Berlingo and Kangoo. The result was that the Dobbie won it on driveability and space. The Berlingo is significantly smaller and they concluded that rear seating was "compromised" because of the seats positioning and the smaller sliding doors. In other words it don't drive as well and passengers aren't as comfortable. Also when I was looking I was originally going for a Berlingo but the Citroen/Peugeot only had one airbag as standard whereas the Dobbie had two.

bobian81 said:
I know this is fiat forum, but I've been looking around to replace my 3 year old doblo jtd, the cheapest I've been offered a 1.9jtd is £8900, in fact the 1.3jtd is more expensive at £9200, alternatively, dixons have offered my a 1.6 HDI diesel berlingo mpv. for £8300 whats peoples oppinions ?
..... cheers
A 1.3 multijet can be had for £8600
http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/doblo.htm
If you have been happy with the Doblo I would stick with the devil you know.

I would go for the doblo, we had the same problem here. Berlingo, kangoo etc. I started driving them and then accidently came across a doblo. I did a little drive and I was convinced! ;) Dobbbby

thanks for the link to the cheap prices, I shall now use that info to drive my local dixon dealer into the dust !
This will be my third doblo in a row !
Incidently what is the 1.3 multijet diesel like ?
I'm thinking it will be a bit under powered, with such a big body, and not as strong as the 1.9jtd, although my wife runs a 1246 multijet punto and its a little flyer, on excelleration it seems to suffer from a bit of turbo lag, but its a 53 plate, have fiat cured that on the new dobbie.
Our punto is only 50 quid a year roadtax (bargain) is the 1.3 dobbie the same ?
cheers rob

Hi, just wondered peoples oppinions 1.3 multijet versus 1.9 jtd, I've more or less made up my mind to stick to a doblo and not buy a berlingo, the load space is not as good on the berlingo

No cambelt on the Multijet....
That would be the clincher for me.

bobian81 said:
mmm interesting, how does the engine drive the valves on the mulitjet 1.3 then ?

Timing chain - good for 160,000 miles apparently.

Theres a bit of ribaldry going around here between those of us with the multijet and those poor unfortunates driving the old tractor-ish 1.9.

Theres a good review of the 1.3 Dobbie here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=159

which interestingly, compares the driving characteristics of the car when fitted with either of the two engines.

I've got a 04 multijet so I don't know what the new one's like but I'm happy with mine. I've had 6 people in it and cruised at 80 with fuel consumption around the 50 mark so it's pretty impressive. Of course if you want outright acceleration go for the 1.9 - but ask Ozzie about his tyres:p

The Multijet Dobbie must be one of the few cars on the road that can't break the 90 mph barrier of course - but what are you going to use it for?

captain_swing said:
Of course if you want outright acceleration go for the 1.9 - but ask Ozzie about his tyres:p

The Multijet Dobbie must be one of the few cars on the road that can't break the 90 mph barrier of course - but what are you going to use it for?

Well, you'd probably be going faster than me in your multijet 1.3 because I can't use something called an accelerator anymore because it eats my tyres for breakfast! The other day I didn't realise my carpet mat was stuck under the small block coming off the back of the accelerator pedal until I had to floor it to get out of the way of this idiot about to cut me up on the roundabout near where I live, except the carpet was in the way but luckily soft enough for me to push the pedal down. It had been like it for ages but had not realised because I don't use the accelerator more than half way, it's my new rule :p

And you want to go over 90 because... Well I don't know really, to be honest I don't go over 65 now, even on the motor way, because I'd rather get somewhere a few minutes later but still return 55-60 mpg instead of getting there earlier and only getting 45-50 :) it's also less tiring because you aren't on your toes all the time overtaking.

:D i own new 1.3 family multijet this is the 85ps version and i asure you .you will not be dissapointed why go for 1.9 when 1.3 will cost less in tax fuel much more refined than 1.9 a lot quieter on start-up and when up to temp this engine is a doubleoverhead cams with drive chains this engine was also developed to be a long life engine ohh and did i mention this engine will pull exactly same weight as 1.9 version so really theres only one other thing to say (why have cotton when you can have silk!) :slayer: :slayer:

Hi, I've now had a local dealer offer me a brand spanking 1.3 multijet active diesel for £8100 on the road, so I've given him a deposit, trouble is hes saying it will be well into feb 07 until he can supply it, but I'm prepared to wait, as I think the restyled doblo is superb.

I've still not heard anything from jordans about my doblo order, I'm getting a little bit nervous, they took a £100 deposit over the phone with a credit card to secure the deal BUT they've never confirmed the order in writing, or let me know a delivery date, I rang them and got a vaguary from the salesman "oh your car is in transit from turkey"
I'm wondering if they are stalling because the price they've agreed with me (£8100 0n the road) is too low for them.
Where do I stand ?

I've still not heard anything from jordans about my doblo order, I'm getting a little bit nervous, they took a £100 deposit over the phone with a credit card to secure the deal BUT they've never confirmed the order in writing, or let me know a delivery date, I rang them and got a vaguary from the salesman "oh your car is in transit from turkey"
I'm wondering if they are stalling because the price they've agreed with me (£8100 0n the road) is too low for them.
Where do I stand ?

Ring in and say you never received the invoice, ask for it to be put in the post.
:)

the day of the doblo is growing closer, the dealer is now telling me the car is in the UK !
I might try and stretch it out to put an 07 plate on it now though !

Back