General Doblo front discs, pads, track rod ends - reasonable quote?

Currently reading:
General Doblo front discs, pads, track rod ends - reasonable quote?

pointyhat

Just been quoted 220 GBP to replace the pads and discs on the front, and two worn track rod ends. Does this sound reasonable?

Reckon about £20 for a set of pads, £40 for the disks and a maximum of £40 for a pair of track rod ends. +£10-20 for wheel allignmet, so I reckon they're looking ~£100 for maybe an hour's labour. Seems excessive to me, but I'm so cheap I'd do it myself anyway.

Reckon about £20 for a set of pads, £40 for the disks and a maximum of £40 for a pair of track rod ends. +£10-20 for wheel allignmet, so I reckon they're looking ~£100 for maybe an hour's labour. Seems excessive to me, but I'm so cheap I'd do it myself anyway.

Thats two hours plus labour mate, easy - and thats if everything comes off nicely. I wouldn't whine about £200 for that lot including parts.

Yeah didn't sound too bad.

To be honest I'm not bothered about the cost really. This isn't an issue at all. However if I'm going to put some cash into keeping this thing on the road then I'd rather spend it on tools and do it myself.

Managed to get parts for ~£67 on eurocarparts and blew £150 on tools on Amazon and at machine mart. Over the mark but I've got axle stands, trolley jack and some decent sockets.

Back in the dark ages of the early 1990s I kept a 1969 Land Rover Series II on the road for about 8 years myself including rebuilding half of it so not new to this, just well out of practice.

Dude I know who runs a tyre outfit is doing an alignment for me if I fix his computer :)

Last edited:
Thats two hours plus labour mate, easy - and thats if everything comes off nicely.

Are the brakes particularly difficult on the Doblo? Used to be disks and pads were a 20-30 min job, and the track rods maybe 10 mins each since the wheels are already off (assuming everything comes off nicely ofc).

That would be working with air tools off a 2 poster mind you, but I'd expect most professional garages would have at the very least a lift of some sort.

Basing this from what I remember of Ford labour times (many moons ago), which were admittedly somewhat unforgiving at times.

I looked at the service manual downloaded from here and it certainly doesn't look difficult. Picked pads and discs up earlier. If it doesn't **** it down or try and freeze me I'll do this over the weekend.

As always stuck stuff is the problem. I have WD40, patience and a breaker bar and live about 5 min walk from a Euro Car Parts warehouse and 10 from machine mart so I can't lose :)

I looked at the service manual downloaded from here and it certainly doesn't look difficult. Picked pads and discs up earlier. If it doesn't **** it down or try and freeze me I'll do this over the weekend.

As always stuck stuff is the problem. I have WD40, patience and a breaker bar and live about 5 min walk from a Euro Car Parts warehouse and 10 from machine mart so I can't lose :)

Everythings an easy job until it isn't ;)

Peeps have overheads, taxes, they're insured blah de blah. I prefer to do my own as well, but sometimes I just say "fug that for a game of soldiers" and let someone else have the pleasure. Such a case was when the ratchet pulley on my alternator went last Christmas :cry:

Back