General Dip Stick or SH$t Stick

Currently reading:
General Dip Stick or SH$t Stick

TTR

Established member
Eh up all,

Well for those who can remember my small challenge with the water pump change (😂) all is well and car is running sweet.

However I’ve finally lost this will to live with the worst oil dip stick I’ve ever seen 🤬

Being paranoid after my slight miss hap I’ve been checking oil and water weekly until I’d convinced myself all was well.

Ive finally lost the plot with trying to easily read the oil level - I think I’m an expert now in adjusting the stick to ambient light levels and squinting for ages to figure out where the chuff the level is - FF$ sake there has got to be a better solution 🤔

Who in gods name thought it was a bright idea to build an oil coloured dip stick 😳🤯🤬

Can anyone tell me the later models have more sensible coloured dip sticks and if there are what age plate these start as I’ll buy one gladly. ( You’ve no idea how thoses last three words hurt a Yorkshire man)

Thanks in advance for any inputs 👍

Had a similar problems with a VW i owned and solved it by spraying the bottom bit of the silly black dipstick with grey primer. Worked a treat and never came off even after numerous wipes

Reactions: TTR
Eh up greasytrucker

Not a bad shout- been thinking about that just loathed to put paint on and it flake into oil- be just my luck

I’ve got some plastic adhesion coater so might put that on then a blast of primer 👍

Tbh I can’t see a small amount of paint like that hurting if it did come off again. Think i used a bit of acid etch primer that i had left from when i refurbed some alloys. Still can’t understand what makes a manufacturer fit a black dipstick 🤷

Eh up all,

Well for those who can remember my small challenge with the water pump change (😂) all is well and car is running sweet.

However I’ve finally lost this will to live with the worst oil dip stick I’ve ever seen 🤬

Being paranoid after my slight miss hap I’ve been checking oil and water weekly until I’d convinced myself all was well.

Ive finally lost the plot with trying to easily read the oil level - I think I’m an expert now in adjusting the stick to ambient light levels and squinting for ages to figure out where the chuff the level is - FF$ sake there has got to be a better solution 🤔

Who in gods name thought it was a bright idea to build an oil coloured dip stick 😳🤯🤬

Can anyone tell me the later models have more sensible coloured dip sticks and if there are what age plate these start as I’ll buy one gladly. ( You’ve no idea how thoses last three words hurt a Yorkshire man)

Thanks in advance for any inputs 👍
I believe the dipstick starts out in life as a near white plastic (I have seen images of brand new ones white anyway) I suspect exposure to hot oil results in the plastic ageing and discolouring leading to its excellent, natural, camouflage colour scheme - that's evolution for you!

My technique is to pull the stick and lay it down immediately on some absorbent paper - kitchen towel or that blue garage wipe stuff; the paper "stains" out to the level.

Of course you could let the oil get really black and then the problem goes away, but along with the functionality of the UniAir module... You know I'm joking right?

My 2014 diesel has a wound stainless steel strand type dipstick IIRC, unless I’m confusing that with our Ford. But of course that doesn’t help you a jot!

If it’s plastic and discoloured, get your paint ready to give it a respray, then try cleaning it off with brake cleaner and a rough kitchen sponge? If it doesn’t come clean enough at least you’ve keyed the surface for painting!

If you don’t feel it’s clean enough to indicate properly then I wouldn’t dip again after the clean up, the rough sponge will have left marks much harder to get oil out of in prep for painting.

eh up all,

to close this out and save my frustration

cleaned end with cellulose thinners
masked up
sprayed with plastic primer
sprayed with grey primer ( dust coat only)
sprayed with satin top coat

perfect can now see oil level 👍

what a faff for reading the oil - hey ho 🤔

Last edited:
eh up all,

to close this out and save my frustration

cleaned end with cellulose thinners
masked up
sprayed with plastic primer
sprayed with grey primer ( dust coat only)
sprayed with satin top cost

perfect can now see oil level 👍

what a faff for reading the oil - hey ho 🤔

Glad it works for you 🙂

I am happy with paper towel /tissue, seems to work reliably on my twinairs

Both dipped in the oil top one is 100% useless the bottom one is my home made one. Its 100% effective. Fiat engineers 0 : Panda Nut 1

Measure carefully and make sure you have a great big handle so its impossible to fdrop it into the engine!!! I used a grinstone to make a flat for the section between min and max. Decided not to attach inside the engine and just hang it on the wall, It would easily lie under hte boot liner if needed on a long run

Attachments

• 20230926_122307.jpg
    20230926_122307.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Eh up

To update this thread with my “fix” I did ….it’s useless 😤

Waste of bl88dy time, So to anyone else don’t try it.

I think the environment it’s in the paint simply won’t take the hit, plus I’m guessing some expansion in the plastic of the stick itself.

Sooooo I’ve no idea again how to easily see what level my oils at - brilliant 🤬

I probably need better eyes as well 😂😁

I’m now thinking of fabricating my own from stainless, will keep everyone updated as to how successful this potential solution might be 👍

Back