Technical Difference in 499/650 Exhaust

Currently reading:
Technical Difference in 499/650 Exhaust

Being two options for exhaust fittments on a 499 and a 126, what actually is the difference?
It’s it the spacing of the exhaust ports on the head?
Many thanks.

Being two options for exhaust fittments on a 499 and a 126, what actually is the difference?
It’s it the spacing of the exhaust ports on the head?
Many thanks.
The spacing is the same. The rear (No.2) pipe on the 126 is reshaped to pass around the different location of the heated-air outlet on the cowling.
The angle of the silencer attachment to the pipes also seems different as the silencer sits slightly differently in different brackets.
My 126 engine appears to use a 500 exhaust that was supplied already fitted to it; it has been carefully "adjusted" after being heated and may also have had a bit of nip-and-tuck welding.

Last edited:
I have worked out that my 500f came to me with a 650cc exhaust fitted, I realised this when I went to fit a new 500cc exhaust and it would not line up with the brackets! I realised it too late, presuming I had an exhaust that was poorly made or bent in transit, I had already started cutting up the new exhaust to make it fit...

So if you want to mix and match, just a note to say you will need the brackets that match your exhaust, and that the 650cc brackets do not bolt to a 500cc engine without some spacers or small modification.

Back