Technical Difference between tail lights on the 169

Currently reading:
Technical Difference between tail lights on the 169

dimo

Good evening, I have a 2004 panda 169 1.1 and the tail lights have started to fail.

At first I thought it was a problem of mass and cleaning the contacts solved the problem.

Now that it is giving problems again I have taken it to the official FIAT dealer and they have told me that it seems that both the connector and the metal part are completely burnt.

As there are no official spare parts they can't fix it and they recommend me to buy second hand ones and a connector and splice it.

I have found several 5 pin connectors that fit on ebay and amazon. When looking for a replacement taillight I see there are two types, black or red taillight.

Originally mine has both with the red rear, is there any difference in function between the two?

At first glance it looks darker the black one, as if they are tinted but as I'm changing both I don't think it will be a problem, but I want to know if the electrical part is the same or not.

Thanks in advance to all of you =)

As far as I know, here in the UK, repair part number 51277277 fits all pandas 169 except for the 4x4 cross

It not listed in the electronic parts catalogue so can not double check for you

As far as I know, here in the UK, repair part number 51277277 fits all pandas 169 except for the 4x4 cross

It seems that red ones are older than black ones, it could be an upgrade version of the red?

With the tail light connector issue resolved, I still need the two complete tail lights.

I still don't understand if I can use tail lights from a 2010 panda with a black rear, when mine from 2004 are red.

My reference is 51705459 the left side and 51763006 the right side.

Searching on ebay there is also 51705458 in black for the left side.

The second reference number is always the same so I understand that it doesn't matter if it is more or less modern, it will always be :

280201 Left
280202 Right

Can anyone tell me if they are compatible with each other, I have read in this forum that the front ones vary depending on the year and version.

In case it helps my panda is 2004 version active 1.1 petrol.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the mess of versions but I do not want to make a mistake and buy something that does not work in my car or even can break the electrical part of my panda.

I attach the photos of what I am referring to,
The red one is from a 2007 panda, the black one is from a 2010 panda.

I guess it's important to mention that my car is right-hand drive.

Attachments

• panda_red.jpg
    panda_red.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 9
  • panda_black.jpg
    panda_black.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 9
I THINK it depends on the exterior colour of your Panda. My 2006 (black, hence Bellezza Nera) 100Hp definetely had the black lights. Yours IIRC is red.
The black ones should fit without any problem, but for esthetics change both sides.

gr J

100hp had "smoked" rear lights. Identical apart from the smoked effect.
New Genuine Factory ones were unobtainable a couple of years ago, there are some aftermarket ones apparently, and some new-old-stock ones come up every so often.
Much easier to get hold of standard non-smoked type, still quite a few suppliers about, although they may be aftermarket ones.
It's also possible to get just the bulb holder boards (same for 100hp and normal types) , so if the lenses are OK, even more choices available.
Parts supply situation may have changed since I last looked, though.

Back