Cruel Chinese Fur Trade - Warning: disturbing video link

Currently reading:
Cruel Chinese Fur Trade - Warning: disturbing video link

Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails speaks out against the cruel treatment of animals in the Chinese fur trade.

"Every year in China, millions of cats and dogs are killed for their fur—mostly to make cuffs, collars, and other pieces of trim. The fur is often mislabeled as fur from another species and sold illegally in Europe and the United States."

Please don't buy fur items and help bring an end to this inhumane trade. Many of the images in the video linked below will be upsetting.

http://www.peta2.com/OUTTHERE/o-trentreznoripod.asp?c=p2_359g&gclid=CN-uqMPv8JgCFQtdQgodvC2L1Q

Last edited:
I haven't watched the video and have no intention of doing so. I'm afraid I know what I'm going to see. Personally, I only buy animal by-products if I have to. I know that sounds hypocritical from someone who eats meat, but I only buy clothes made from leather as most (all?)of it comes from cattle that have been slaughtered for food.

well that was actually quite shocking, its disgusting animals are treated like that, leaves you wondering the people that do it, do they because they need money or because its just a industry that provides jobs like any other. either way if people didnt buy the end product lack of demand would soon end it.

well that was actually quite shocking, its disgusting animals are treated like that, leaves you wondering the people that do it, do they because they need money or because its just a industry that provides jobs like any other. either way if people didnt buy the end product lack of demand would soon end it.
Here's the old git from Stockport again with his pearls of "wisdom".
I have travelled a lot in my job, including China,India,Vietnam, Egypt etc. etc. over many years. The fact is that we, and most Western countries, are very mature countries (in terms of how long we have been "develped nations") and as such we have become very comfortable, hence we can afford to regard animals as fellow living creatures deserving of dignity and respect. This also explains our laissez faire attitudes to many things, but that's another story.
However, if you lived in the fields and have to fight for your meals (I know, nearly a quote from "Won't Get Fooled Again") then you might well regard animals as a resource and nothing else. Pets are a rarity because they don't work and they need upkeep.I had an Indian visitor in my house one day and our very well-fed cat casually walked in, and jumped on to the window ledge. He jumped up and said - "my god, should that be inside, is everything ok?!!"
I have been in cars in Asia and seen animals that have been hit and are still twitching or writhing in the road. Here everyone would stop. "There" cars just drive round them until the animal dies and it eventually gets moved or just knocked apart. I have even seen humans lying in the road. The traffic does at least stop for them, but only whilst the victim gets moved.
There are 2 points to this diatribe:
1.In most third world countries,and in China, either for economic reasons or religious reasons, living life (as opposed to an afterlife) is not regarded as being as valuable as in the west.Dying is more matter of fact or regarded as fate.
2. There are viable alternatives to fur products, but they require a lot of investment in machinery and raw materials. Using real animals sadly does not require such an investment. Disgusting, but true.
Sorry to cheer you all up. I hope I haven't put you all off your lunch.

Here's the old git from Stockport again with his pearls of "wisdom".
I have travelled a lot in my job, including China,India,Vietnam, Egypt etc. etc. over many years. The fact is that we, and most Western countries, are very mature countries (in terms of how long we have been "develped nations") and as such we have become very comfortable, hence we can afford to regard animals as fellow living creatures deserving of dignity and respect. This also explains our laissez faire attitudes to many things, but that's another story.
However, if you lived in the fields and have to fight for your meals (I know, nearly a quote from "Won't Get Fooled Again") then you might well regard animals as a resource and nothing else. Pets are a rarity because they don't work and they need upkeep.I had an Indian visitor in my house one day and our very well-fed cat casually walked in, and jumped on to the window ledge. He jumped up and said - "my god, should that be inside, is everything ok?!!"
I have been in cars in Asia and seen animals that have been hit and are still twitching or writhing in the road. Here everyone would stop. "There" cars just drive round them until the animal dies and it eventually gets moved or just knocked apart. I have even seen humans lying in the road. The traffic does at least stop for them, but only whilst the victim gets moved.
There are 2 points to this diatribe:
1.In most third world countries,and in China, either for economic reasons or religious reasons, living life (as opposed to an afterlife) is not regarded as being as valuable as in the west.Dying is more matter of fact or regarded as fate.
2. There are viable alternatives to fur products, but they require a lot of investment in machinery and raw materials. Using real animals sadly does not require such an investment. Disgusting, but true.
Sorry to cheer you all up. I hope I haven't put you all off your lunch.

in response...

1. dying is a part of life. it's gonna happen. why don't we aim to make it humane?

2. sorry i wasn't aware we (the human race who have evolved with little body hair due to thwe abilityto make clothes orignally from dead animals now from plant by products) needed fur?

i have travelled alot and seen animals get very little respect. i've travelled alot and seen humans get very little respect. maybe it's time we encourage are fellow humans to improve on both.

though i don't see the difference between eating dog meat or cow meat. :shrug:

in response...

1. dying is a part of life. it's gonna happen. why don't we aim to make it humane?

2. sorry i wasn't aware we (the human race who have evolved with little body hair due to thwe abilityto make clothes orignally from dead animals now from plant by products) needed fur?

i have travelled alot and seen animals get very little respect. i've travelled alot and seen humans get very little respect. maybe it's time we encourage are fellow humans to improve on both.

though i don't see the difference between eating dog meat or cow meat. :shrug:
I agree with you as usual. I wasn't trying to justify it, just explain why I think it happens.
You are right, we don't need real fur at all and I wouldn't knowingly wear it, but I have no qualms about wearing leather shoes or having leather seats in my car because the cow was already dead for food long before its hide was used for tanning.
And the only difference between eating cow and dog in my book is that (rightly or wrongly) you can form a lifelong bond with a dog. A dog will be loyal, affectionate, protective etc. A cow, through no fault of its own can't really do much apart from eat, sh*t and produce milk. So it has been developed as a food source. Also, there is rather more meat on a cow than the average dog I suppose.
I preferred the thread about boobage by the way. Much less troubling .

Back