General Crashed my 'b' :((((((((((

Currently reading:
General Crashed my 'b' :((((((((((

For those of you possibly interested in some parts (engine and interior is OK) I will make a decision on the car's fate soon. So far I have not been able to really think about that, so in case I will sell it part-by-part I let you know.

A different question. What do you think it is worth right now, as it is?

Well - in this country you don't usually insure your car, unless it's new. There is a mandatory insurance, which only covers damage caused by your car to other people's vehicles. This insurance does not cover any damage on your vehicle... (The additional insurance is just unreasonable for the car in this price range.)

Well selling it part by part would be the most ideal solution, although I'm afraid that due to my unfortunate geographic location - the postage price for the parts would limit my possibilities.

When DJ Overdose wrapped his round some railings I think he got about five or six hundred pounds for his B and that included clearing it from the site. But that was in London where I would have thought a prospective breaker's got a bigger market to make the money back on the parts.

jiggy: thanks, that's useful information... I got offered around 500 pounds - as it is.

Although still undecided on the fate of the wreck. I shall know more after this weekend...

Last edited:
Sorry alan, that's the language barrier kicking in:) By "bite their hands off" you mean, "no way, do not take that deal"... ?

Sorry alan, that's the language barrier kicking in:) By "bite their hands off" you mean, "no way, do not take that deal"... ?

Apologies it means the opposite, for £500 means you have no hasstle stripping parts looking for buyers and is a reasonable sum bearing in mind that both bumpers and all of the panels including the soft top is damaged

What do you think of this one? http://www.hasznaltauto.hu/1900753_fiat_barchetta_1996
The price is around 2100 pounds. The owner is supposedly a 72 yr old oldtimer enthusiast.

Looks ok appart from the colour :) but as in all things you have to go and see it, over here that is relatively cheap esp if it's a good one. Also 70,000 miles approx 112000km isn't bad for a 12 yr old car but I would say relatively high for an enthusiast? Although I did 40,000 miles last year in my own cars but only about 4000 in the B.

Alan: Thanks now it's clear - and I've learned a new english phrase:)

As for the other car - supposedly the guy never used it much, he only has temporary license plates on it. He bought it used, drove it around a little, got it resprayed and that's it. According to him "he just got old for that".

I dunno. After seeng the b's remaiins on monday I was thinking that maybe it would be better not to drive around in a soft-top for obvious safety reasons - but on the other hand we all love the barchetta a lot...

If you do pick the Hungarian one, would you mind buying som Gyulai and Diak Csemege for me? :)

Looks like the previous owner had Ferrari envy judging by the boot and bonnet badges!

You should go and take a look, oh and as for the soft top its just as easy to kill yourself in a hardtop so you may as well have something that makes you smile!!

Robot: Well I live pretty close to the Hungarian border so I can arrange some Gyulai for you sometimes. :)

So others: what do you think about the price for the wreck? I don't really have the possibility to take it apart and sell it part-by-part, so I'm thinking it is not a bad offer.

I would take the money, definitely. But I am a lazy sod who couldn't be bothered breaking a B down and selling it off bit by bit :D

I'd take the money and buy the Hungarian one (assuming it's got a service history and has had the cambelt changed etc).

I was driving a van in Budapest last year and noticed that Hungarians (in the city) are, how should I put it, "enthusiastic" drivers :) In other words, check for accident damage repairs :D

Well yes, generally eastern european drivers are hmmm. "enthusiastic"... (Generally stupid... ) ;)

Anyways. No red b for me. Not now, not this one. It would be a little dodgy business - I won't go into details. I'd rather sell the remains of poor #7985 and cool off a little...

I'm Hungarian and got the driving style to match :D So far my B's been repaired for damages three times - twice while I've had it, and at least once with one of the previous owners. The tw*t I bought it from didn't report any previous accidents to me, but the front's been welded and the rear bumper I had on was originally green - something I didn't notice before it fell off :eek: (after hitting the fence).

Thanks ascas :wave:, but my parents are going to Budapest in a few weeks, and I'm sure they'll fill all the suitcases with salamis and kolbaszes :)

Back