General Could Someone with a 500 with S&S Do Me a Favour

Currently reading:
General Could Someone with a 500 with S&S Do Me a Favour

OK, while pulling out of the drive this morning the Clutch came up with a jolt and a sound like breaking plastic.

Since then everytime I start the engine I get S&S Unavailable on the dash

I am thinking a switch has been damaged that senses clutch position and activates the S&S

I have crawled into the footwell, and at the top of the clutch pedal lever (Far end from the pedal), there is a lip that sticks out with a flat square of metal, this looks like it might make contact with a switch or sensor, Its in a really awkward position and I have had a feel around the back but cannot find anything that could have come loose,

Could a kind soul with a S&S and a limber back have a look under there and see if the hole is filled or empty on their one,

I would be very grateful, dont want to make myself a complete numpty at the dealers!

Image of the striker & empty hole

Clutch.jpg

Hi flashyphotos,

I don't have a TA I'm afraid (got a 1.2 Panda instead), however what you described sounds very similar to the issue I had with our Panda last year.

See this thread:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/309721-faulty-clutch-switch.html

I don't know how the S/S system works, but it's not inconceivable that you've had a similar problem to the one I've described here.

With any luck you might be able to find the broken part somewhere in the footwell. I just had a quick look on the SG Petch website, and according to this link there is a difference between the clutch switch for non S/S models and S/S models:

http://fiat-500.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/parts/detail/category=electrical/engine=331/part=5209

This component looks like the bit that broke off in our Panda BTW.

Just out of interest, are your gear shift indicators working or have they packed up too?

Thanks guys I am on the A1 at mo, but will have a dig around when I get home later this afternoon

100percent S/S fail and light resets after each start but comes on after about 30mins driving

Will let you know what I find later

Appreciate the help

Should be something I can live with till 36k mile service next month

Cheers

Vicky

Right managed to crawl under there, and I think I have found the part being mentioned.

Does it look right that the metal Pin is BEHIND The Plastic Pink /Purple Strip ?

Also when pushing the clutch fully home the pin nor anything else there moves at all

Any advice appreciated

Here is a photo of the part

IMG_0229.jpg

I can't visualise mine, I'll have to go out and have a look again. The angle that the pin is at suggests something has broken, though.

I notice there looks to be evidence of fluid leakage from the end of your clutch master cylinder, so it might be worth getting that looked at.

Last edited:
I notice there looks to be evidence of fluid leakage from the end of your clutch master cylinder, so it might be worth getting that looked at.

That's another common 500 problem (Euro owners can relax, they get a cable clutch) which is all-but impossible to see but is easy to spot if you take a picture up into the footwell. I've posted about it before; it's not serious (mine weeps slightly, but not enough to noticeably lower the level in the reservoir between changing the fluid every 2 years). You may as well get it changed whilst it's still under warranty. It's an easy job which even the most cack-handed mechanic should be able to cope with, but do check the car when you get it back just to make sure they haven't sprayed brake fluid all over the engine bay.

The picture in the link gives another view of the pin (yours appears to be bent as bgunn says), though my pink lever is yellow.

There's not a lot of room down there and access is very awkward with the steering column shaft running just in front of the part that matters; this isn't a job I'd be looking forward to doing.

I've managed to get a better picture of the pin & lever which also shows what appears to be the attachment cable for the sensor.

Attachments

• P1040814.JPG
    P1040814.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Cheers Guys

Ref the fluid on the clutch rubber, its actually a white silicon grease just the flash makes it look like a fluid leak.

Ref the pin, I agree its a royal PITB to get at so am going to leave it now, its due in for a service in 4K (so about a month), and I just had a postcard from the dealer saying something about a Software upgrade, so will leave it till then and get it all done together.

As long as nothing is falling off and likely to get trapped it will be fine I would image, loss of S&S is no real hardship for a month (I lived without it for 2 months when I first got the car anyway!)

Will update with any resolution.

Regards

Vicky

Just had another ferret around now I have the other photos to compare it with

I pushed the pin and the whole unit fell to oneside at the back of the clutch,

Its sheared on the metal joint. Attached a photo but its not very good quality its a pain to get too

I have a feeling thats going to take a bit of stripping down to replace

Still going to try and live with it for a month unless it shifts and jams behind the clutch I should be ok.

Shear.JPG

Just had another ferret around now I have the other photos to compare it with

I pushed the pin and the whole unit fell to oneside at the back of the clutch,

Its sheared on the metal joint. Attached a photo but its not very good quality its a pain to get too

I have a feeling thats going to take a bit of stripping down to replace

Still going to try and live with it for a month unless it shifts and jams behind the clutch I should be ok.

Shear.JPG

New pedal box time...

This is what happens with Euro NCAP - in order to get excellent crash test results where pedal intrusion isn't great, they make the pedals and the pedal box out of cheese, so it breaks easily in a crash..

Last edited:
And here is the broken bit, managed ot get to dealer today and tech with more nimble fingers than me managed to remove the part that was jammed behind the clutch.

Got to go back in next friday as they have to order in pedal box.

But at least the clutch is working now without jamming on the debris stuck behind it

clutch2.jpg

Well just an update on this one,

Finally got my car back today (have been waiting for a new pedal box and then there was a hiccup on the date it was booked in), so its taken a while.

They replaced the pedal box and the start@Stop is working fine, the DET showed me photos on the clutch pedal and the broken one only had a weld about 1/4 of the way around the new one is all the way around.

While it was in it had its 36k service (at 14Months old), it needed New front Suspension tops again under warranty, (Had last lot in November at 18k), so it seems to be eating a set about every 18k!!!

They wanted to charge £435 for a 36k service. on the premis it was a "Big Service", after speaking to another dealer who quoted £265 the original dealer dropped the £435 to £250!!!

Getting the paperwork back it does not seem the 36k service consisted of anything extra over and above the 18k other than a Brake Fluid Change.

The same dealer charged £169 inc vat for the 18k, so the £435 for the 36k was ludicrous to say the least.

Still think for what is scheduled £169 is OK but £250 is too high

Anyway is all done and back on the road for another 6 or so months till no doubt the service will be up again and a another set of suspension tops will be the order of the day!!

Cheers

Vicky

Back