Computer problems - paging files

Currently reading:
Computer problems - paging files

thats a pretty neat setup, you sure you have enough space? like the way only the games are configured as raid ;)

i had problems with the MFT recently, lost about 22GB (deleted a couple of small partitions and they just "went"), sorted with a chkdsk /F

for some info on the MFT see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688 (specificallt the section on NTFS MFT Expansion)

if i was you i would have 2 pagefiles, one on the C drive (yes rather small) and one on another drive (less used), windows should determine which one to use depending on which disk is being used the least.

Cheers - so what size should I configure on the C drive? i.e. define small - a few Mb?

The RAID drive used to be my main drive, but had a few issues - by keeping it for games only, I am not unduly fussed if I lose stuff.

As for enough space, I have another 200Gb in my xbox, which I can access via FTP across the network :D

lol, why am i not surprised? so your coming up for a TB of storage, neat.

nobody really wants to go out on a limb and say exactly how much to use as far as PF is concerned, most people agree its 1.5 times your current RAM, your supposed to keep a certain amount on the OS partition because if your computer crashes the memory dump may/will be lost if the PF is on another volume, personally i would split it 1GB/2BG as you have plenty of free space.

if your really interested go to administrative tools > performance, add a couple of counters (select the "paging file" from the drop down), and leave it for a while, play a game, do some work, see what it does, should show you any PF activity although i guess you dont need to really use it much if you have 2GB of ram.

Many thanks - I will have a tinker once I get home...

Should hopefully be getting my new GFX card soon; won it on eBay, an X850XT PE AGP - a worthy replacement for my 9600XT, lol, so hopefully I can get back into PC gaming as it should be (y)

I also tend to keep my PC on 24/7, although sometimes do a quick reboot once a week.

Back