Computer problems - paging files

Currently reading:
Computer problems - paging files

The last few times I've turned my PC on, it's had a strop and tells me my paging files are too small (I presume this is something to do with memory?) and to change them. Whatever I change them to, it still insists the size of the paging files across all drives is 0. I'm using Windows 2000, any suggestions are welcome please :D

bulldog5046 said:
right click 'my computer' > properties > advanced tab > performance 'settings' > advanced tab.

tell me how much virtual memory you have ;)

However much I tell it to have, it still allocates zero, zip, sweet FA, nowt, diddly squat. I said that already in my first post - the problem is how to make the computer recognise it.

I did a defrag about a week ago on all partitions using the Windows one, the drive Windows sits on is only about 10% full anyway and I rarely, if ever put data on there (or is it something to do with all drives/ data as opposed to the main partition?). I guess I could run it again and again until it has contiguous files only?

I never changed the default settings from when it was installed so I assume that is for it to set its own paging file size? On Saturday I tried changing the sizes allowed but it doesn't matter what I type in the boxes, the total space allocated across all drives is still 0.

I have:
Drive 1: 30gb (with Windows and programs on it, nothing much else), 5gb (work data, about 4 used), 5gb (personal data, about 4 used)
Drive 2: 200gb, backup of data and movies/ music.

Your paging file or swap file should be on you a drive that DOES NOT hold your OS.

If you still run the PC all the time then I suggest a weekly reboot at least, I've seen different versions of windows do some weird and wonderful things when it gets the paging file all fragged.

Ryan, the paging file is a version or RAM accessed from the HDD when your physical RAM runs out during particular operations.

Liam

Knicked from http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1404

Optimize the Pagefile
If you have more than one hard drive, it is a good idea to put your pagefile on the non-windows drives. Also, it is not a bad idea to set the pagefile to a constant size (1 to 2 times the available RAM), so it wont get fragmented.
Right-click on My Computer -> select Properties -> the Advanced tab -> Performance, Settings button -> Advanced tab, Virtual memory, Change button -> choose the drives and size available for pagefile(s).
I usually use a non-windows drive, and same Initial/Maximum size to avoid fragmentation of the pagefile. Another method to avoid fragmentation is to clear the pagefile on shutdown, by changing the following Registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown=1"
(1 clears the pagefile at shutdown, 0 is the Windows default).
Related Resources:
MSKB 314834 (Windows XP)
MSKB 182086 (Windows 2000)

Liam

actually i believe the page file should be 1.5 times the amount of ram you currently have.

running a defrag will tell you how many fragments there are, but it should be cleaned now and then anyway as its essentially going to contain whatever was last in VM before you shut down (unless you set it to clean when you shut down the computer which will add time to every shutdown and is pretty pointless). moving it to a new partition will create a new one so will sort that out.

Thanks guys :) I will shift it to the large and pretty much empty drive and leave the others sitting at 0. I may also set the registry to clear it each time I reboot as you suggest there Liam. Does that sound sensible? Will let you know how I get on.

if your willing for the shutdown to take a couple of minutes each time ... personally i hate a long shutdown

Right, seeing all the techies are on here, maybe you can advise me as well :)

I use Diskeeper Pro, and it is prompting me to sort out my Master File Table - I think a review of my PF is in order as well. My current setup as follows:

SATA-150 - split C: 30Gb Windows Boot drive / D: 130Gb Programs
SATA-150 - E: 160Gb Documents
2*SATA-150 RAID - J: 240Gb Games
IDE-133 External - split H: 270Gb Media / I: 30Gb Backup

Currently, I have 2Gb of RAM, and my PF sits on the J: drive - 3070Mb Min / 4000Mb Max

Diskeeper advises that M$ reckons I should have a very small PF on C: drive as well? This a good idea? Also, the MFT hasn't been configured to the recommended settings? Shall I do this for ALL my drives?

Cheers peeps.

Last edited:
Not familiar with MFT as of yet Stu but MS says System Restore is good but if you can keep your system stable then turn it off as it uses a fair bit of resources.

I'd stick with the paging file setup you have already, have a shot of East-Tec Eraser at http://www.east-tec.com/ it defrags the FREE SPACE on your HDD's to speed up performance as other programs defrag your files but free space gets fragged when you delete stuff.

Liam

Back