Computer committed suicide

Currently reading:
Computer committed suicide

Tried to switch my PC on earlier today... and nothing happened. No lights, no sounds- naff all.

I unplugged it at the mains and plugged it back in, not sure why, but it still doesn't work.

HALP :eek:

Try a different Kettle lead (from the Mains to the powersupply on the PC) and or check fuse.

:(I was gonna say that.

when you plug the kettle lead in it will make a clicking type noise (like a little electric shock) try it and report back whether it worked or not.

also does the power supply on the back of the pc have a light? if so does it light up when you plug it in?

Last edited:
Cheers for the help fellas.

Just tried to replace the fuse on the kettle lead- plugged it back in, switched on and tadaaaaaaaa. It worked for about a second, then just blew the fuse again.

And yes, I made sure it was a 13A fuse. Don't have a spare kettle lead to try :(

..So now my telly doesn't work either because my PC blew up the fuse. I know I should laugh, but struggling to see the funny side.:(

Cheers for the help fellas.

Just tried to replace the fuse on the kettle lead- plugged it back in, switched on and tadaaaaaaaa. It worked for about a second, then just blew the fuse again.

And yes, I made sure it was a 13A fuse. Don't have a spare kettle lead to try :(

..So now my telly doesn't work either because my PC blew up the fuse. I know I should laugh, but struggling to see the funny side.:(

That means your PC has serious issues if its managing to blow a 13amp fuse. Most PC's should only have a 5amp fuse anyway!.

Go buy some fuses. Then remove your computers side panel / case, and remove the BIOS battery (should be round button battery). Leave it 5 minutes. Also while your in there remove all add-in cards from PCI slots as well as unplug power from Harddrives and DVD Drives etc.

Put the battery back in and try powering it up then with just the basics left.

very cheap connectors
can cause them to come loose
a fan can strip the insulation
(but he would hear that)

and removing the bios battery why not just flash the bios with the jumper?

also what if the mother board had moved slightly
i think we have had a similar problem causing it to go to earth in a different route

or could his psu be simply nackered?

very cheap connectors
can cause them to come loose
a fan can strip the insulation
(but he would hear that)

and removing the bios battery why not just flash the bios with the jumper?

also what if the mother board had moved slightly
i think we have had a similar problem causing it to go to earth in a different route

or could his psu be simply nackered?

Flash bios by the jumper? :confused:. Do you mean clear?. I told him to remove battery because only 60% of motherboards have a BIOS clear jumper cap. So this method works on nearly all Desktop PC's.

And yes its quite possible a knacered PSU but the methods described will rule it out.

Last edited:
What PSU was it?

a cr@p one by the sounds of it ;)

if its popping fuses chances are its the PSU most are sealed anyway even if you short out the 12 - 5 volt connections you wont blow the fuse..

just hope it hasn't taken any other components with it

if you have a multi meter remove the PSU from pc work out which is live, neutral and earth and meter them out and compare readings to another psu...

a cr@p one by the sounds of it ;)

if its popping fuses chances are its the PSU most are sealed anyway even if you short out the 12 - 5 volt connections you wont blow the fuse..

just hope it hasn't taken any other components with it

if you have a multi meter remove the PSU from pc work out which is live, neutral and earth and meter them out and compare readings to another psu...

Or just replace it because its f**k*d ;) (y)

What PSU was it?

Tagan 420 W with PCI-E power danglies.

Lot's of flashy lights, looked like a PSU from fast n furious tbh.. not my cuppa, so I'm kinda glad it's packed in.

Altho, I *think* this PSU was pinched from my last build, as at the time.. there seemed to be no need for a new one.

That means its over 2 years old.. and out of warranty :(

Tagan 420 W with PCI-E power danglies.

Lot's of flashy lights, looked like a PSU from fast n furious tbh.. not my cuppa, so I'm kinda glad it's packed in.

Altho, I *think* this PSU was pinched from my last build, as at the time.. there seemed to be no need for a new one.

That means its over 2 years old.. and out of warranty :(

You NEED at least a 600watt to run a Quad Core reliably. What other kit your got hidden in that beast?. If your running a High End Graphics card i'd probably get even more!. And remember to get Active PFC which means it will only use energy its using which also reduces heat as it won't be working as hard.

Last edited:
Really :eek:

What do you think to this one Chirs? Don't really want to spend more than 60 quid on a PSU ideally.

oh, it's AMD Phenom 9550, with 4gb OCZ ram and 2x 7900GTs. graphics cards are getting on now, thinking of just replacing them with one mega power one. 1gb sounnds about right :D

Really :eek:

What do you think to this one Chirs? Don't really want to spend more than 60 quid on a PSU ideally.

oh, it's AMD Phenom 9550, with 4gb OCZ ram and 2x 7900GTs. graphics cards are getting on now, thinking of just replacing them with one mega power one. 1gb sounnds about right :D

Are you taking the pee?!?!!?. Your dad put that together and put a pissy little 420watt PSU in it!! :ROFLMAO:. I hope he doesn't to it for a living or he wouldn't be making money :nerner:.

Yeah on a serious note thats a serious spec (yes the graphics cards aren't the most powerfull but you have two!) and needs a serious PSU. You should be able to get a decent 750-800watt Active PFC PSU for £60. I'll hunt for one now.

Back