Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Re: JTD - loudish clunk/click when releasing clutch pedal

Mine is is the same (long bolt through clutch and brake pedal) but are you sure you'd need to remove accelerator - as in do you really need to remove the pedal completely :chin:

I've already removed the black plastic cage although can't get it past the rod of master cylinder. I think the white ball socket (which I'm certain is broken because I've seen bits of it on the carpet) could be removed if I could think of some way to keep the master cylinder rod locked down.

Bleed off the fluid maybe :chin:

I had the same problem when I was playing with mine, couldn't get the plastic parts out past the master cylinder rod.

The 2 options I thought of were to remove the pedal which involved taking out the long bolt but the accelerator pedal potentiometer housing was in the way. OR As you suggest, think of a way to hold the rod into the master cylinder a bit. Possibly releasing the slave cylinder bleed screw/pipe would help by relieving some of the pressure required to hold the rod in.

I was trying to get some extra travel on the rod because it was crunching when engaging first gear. I jammed a spacer between the rod and plastic to test my theory, didn't work so took out the spacer and didn't proceed any further. Just waiting to see how long it lasts before I need a new gearbox or first gear synchro.

Dave.

I had the same problem when I was playing with mine, couldn't get the plastic parts out past the master cylinder rod.
Right, had some success with this and no more clunks/creaks (for the moment anyway)

It is quite easy to replace the circular cup (which on mine was falling apart)

All you do is:
  1. Unclip the cup retainer (just lever clips on face of clutch pedal)
  2. Now pull the end of master cylinder push rod down (moves about 1 inch)
  3. Use your fingers to slide the white plastic cup out.
  4. Fit the new one (easier putting it in then taking it out)
  5. Mover push rod back to correct position and click cup retainer back.

Bye the way, you were spot on about the return spring. I looked at it closely and would've sworn blind it was an extension spring but it turns out to be a compression spring. Just as you suggested, it's located in such a way that it keeps the pedal in contact with the clutch switch (critical for this) but also provides very slight assistance when pressing the clutch all the way down.

I did try to the change other part too (mine is slightly broken) but was forced to give up when I realized just how much work is involved. All pedals need to come out including the accelerator (no captive bolts :eek:) and I'd think also the BC. Would be far easier in view to bleed the master cylinder.

Putting the spring back alone was a god-damn nightmare and took 3 hours as I was forced to find a means of compressing it :bang:

Glad you got it sorted Argo.

Now you've done the "guinea pig" part, I may try again with mine. I've also had a creaking noise from the pedal ever since I bought the car. So far I've just sprayed the plastic parts with silicon oil every month or so. I may try to replace the plastic parts now.

Looking at it again today and wondered whether loosening the master cylinder fixing nuts on the engine side bulkhead may enable the cylinder, and push rod, to move enough to get both plastic parts out. :chin:

Dave.

Looking at it again today and wondered whether loosening the master cylinder fixing nuts on the engine side bulkhead may enable the cylinder, and push rod, to move enough to get both plastic parts out. :chin:
Well worth checking out (y)

Would be a lot easier with access to a lift too :)

Re: reverse gear

You need to fit the bottom part Morten - takes about 10 minutes once you know the fitting trick (read post #62)

clutch_cup.jpg

Last edited:
Right - now moved posts to correct thread.

The answer is already in this thread but basically the click occurs at the very top end of the clutch pedal movement. One thing that makes it really annoying is that it still clicks even if you lift your foot very very carefully. :mad:

Clutch pedal operation is super quiet and smooth once that part is in place (y)

Have had this same issue since I started driving RGZ back in March '06. Dealer greased it twice after I complained and the subsequent service, but then told me to essentially "put up with it" - lovely Arnold Clark :rolleyes:

May well pop in and look into getting this white plastic part and replacing it. Tried to grease it myself, but was a total bastid to get access to. Had to detach part of the dashboard trim to vaguely see what I was doing and even then, it was awkward. I'm thinking much swearing may well be done when fixing this, but I guess the part's about as cheap as it could be :)

Ive got a 1.6, creaky clutch also a few hard to hear clicks when slowly bringing the pedal up and down, also due to the clicks sometime the pedal sticks down sort of and when releasing the pedal higher it bounces.

What should I do?, should I try greaseing it, or take it into a garage to see what the mechanics can do or what?.

Hi. You can try the solution on this page. I've actually only managed to solve my squeaks yesterday. Although the plastic thingies may be broken in your case, it doesn't help to see what a good lubrication will do.

Cheers.

Could anyone tell me the part number of the mount clip for the BREAKpedal? I need to replace it and can´t find it on eper.. :confused::(

Re: reverse gear

You need to fit the bottom part Morten - takes about 10 minutes once you know the fitting trick (read post #62)

clutch_cup.jpg

Hi Argonaut, Could you confirm the part number for the bottom bit please? I saw this post
Part numbers are 46554494 £1.07 and 46554495 £0.74 in August 2008.
but those part numbers aren't on the diagram in the later post.

I've got a nightmare clutch that's about the creakiest creaky thing ever and if I can get it sorted it'd be great!

Back