Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Re: In for repairs

Everything is visual checks with the addition of oil & filter change. They also topped up my coolant, about 1mm and my screenwash was about 2cm off max when it went in & they topped it up! Not much too a 12k service!

My clutch pedal creaked when new. I followed advice on here...there are photos posted on this forum by me somewhere in Stilo tech boards, around April 04 at a guess?

I got a mirror and found exactly where the creak was coming from and sprayed loads of Halfords white grease around the creaking part of the pedal (the white box on the inside back of the pedal...best you find the photo!) a year later still no creaking!

Re: Squeak and Clunk Problems Solved (without dealer)

As a 'dealer monkey' I can tell you it will be sorted under warranty(it's pig of a job!)but takes a while to do it.You could always leave a few bananas on the passenger seat though as a bribe to get it done quicker;)

Dealers are still variable.

I asked for mine to be looked at at the 24k service and they told me they had greased the mechanism. Needless to say it didn't stop creaking.

The car was in at a different dealer for some other warranty stuff and they fixed it properly.

D'oh. It'll probably start creaking again on the way home tonight.

Yep definately the clutch plastic cup between rear of pedal and operating arm especially if it clicks,nightmare job...I always end up swearing :eek: Some customers complain about it some dont....personally it would drive me mad!

When it gets fixed under warranty, is it using a better part thats not going to break again or is it just the same part that could go again in another 1500 miles.

Never had one come back so can only assume it's stronger (thicker?) plastic.Is it just my big feet or do yo ufind there is little room around the pedal area,I keep catching something with tips of my shoes in any stilo I go in!

Clutch clicking and squeaking when i de-press it

I have a problem again with the clutch clicking when i de-press it!

Got a new clutch under warranty a few months ago - now the clutch is clicking and squeaking every time i de-press it?

Has anyone had the same problem?

Or can advise?

Re: Clutch clicking and squeaking when i de-press it

First off make sure the panel just above your feet isn't interfering with the pedal. It was big time on mine causing noises and preventing a smooth clutch action so I ripped the damned thing off, you can hear your indicators then too as that's where the relay is

Anyway, it now depends where the noise is coming from. Get someone to operate the clutch while you put your head under the bonnet. If the clicking is coming form deep inside the clutch area then it's highly likely to be the clutch bearing which is seizing and has worn it's way into the pressure plate fingers producing a characteristic "click" or "clang" when you push the clutch down. I hope not - as you say you recently had a new clutch

If the noise is coming from the pedal then some grease lub there on the moving pivot points will often do the trick

Sometimes, the pivot from where teh clave cylinder pushes on the clutch actuating arm can get dry and a bit of lub there works wonders and also makes the clutch action smoother

How did you guess I like a smooth clutch action?:)

Last edited:
Click From Clutch Pedal

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can give me a bit of help.

When pressing my clutch pedal at about halfway down the clutch pedal itself if making a clicking noise. If I don't fully take my foot off it and press down it won't make the noise until I have released it fully.

Could there be something catching?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Click From Clutch Pedal

Well, I found that white plastic cap that T14086 was talking about, but no matter what i try (grease etc.) it doesn't stop. Has anyone got any other ideas on how it can be stopped? Its just a small thing but it really does start to bug you after a while.

Mine does the same thing, have tried lubricating it aswell but with no luck, have just put it down to be one of those (annoying) characteristics!

It doesn't appear to be broken. I watched when I pushed down the pedal and it(the white cap) seems to want to hold in it's position then will release which seems to be the reason for it clicking. So I would say it is a case of it not moving smoothly, tried greasing it up but it ain't the easiest of things to get at.

Think I would need to take it apart to grease it properly, but taking that to bits is probably beond me. Well taking apart probably wouldn't, trying to put it together again would be the challenge.

I'd say it's more of a creak with mine. Been an issue since I got the car in March '06 and got lubricated by the dealer a few times till it came out of warranty. Does seem to randomly go away now and again.

Have been meaning to try greasing it myself, but as people have said, it's not the easiest things to get to :rolleyes:

JTD - loudish clunk/click when releasing clutch pedal

Before anyone mentions it, this has got nothing to do with the clutch mechanism itself. It only happens on the last 1 to 3 cms of releasing the pedal and it's very clear the click is generated from within the car.

Just had a look and apart from the clutch actuator, there are two other items connected to the pedal.

One looks like a switch (a bit like the brake switch ?) but I can't see how this could make a click.

The other looks like a compressible device to presumably return the pedal and this could easily be the culprit.

I'm pretty sure I caused this because I went for a walk yesterday and put my boots on before driving to the start point and ended up with a boot stuck under the clutch pedal :bang: I can't see anything knocked out of place

Any thoughts?

Back