Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Pedal click / clunk / squeak

Re: JTD - loudish clunk/click when releasing clutch pedal

naread.exe

Here's a view to look at peeps..dont we love em..:)

Taken another look and pretty sure this is the culprit (lies directly behind the clutch pedal)

clutch_holder.jpg

Rather puzzled by it's function but can only assume it's designed to provide a smoother clutch function.

Anyone know?

Cant visualise what it is Argo..:confused:

It was hellish difficult to photograph :mad:

It's like a piston attached to the clutch pedal which is pressurised (I presume ?) every time the pedal is pressed. I suppose the idea might be that you get smoother clutch control :chin:

It would be nice to know if it's a standard replacement part but it's not obvious how it's removed :confused:

The illuminated part to the left of your photo is obviously the clutch master cylinder.

The 2 plastic parts (6 & 7 in PNL's diagram) are bushes that the master cylinder push rod fits into to form a pivot where it fits to the pedal. Item 7 is a small plastic cup that fits inside 6.

I suspect the spring is just a pedal return spring.

Not sure if the switch is only fitted to cars equiped with cruise control (to disengage it) but could it need adjusting like the brake pedal switch especially if you put your boot under it.

Dave.

Last edited:

Was sitting on the Poe earlier and it came to me just like that I quite often get inspiration when having a D*mp :p..but then I couldnt get to the PC to post up what it is cos her indoors been hugging the bloomin PC and only just gone to bed :rolleyes:..Davron got it though and is right its the clutch master cylinder..and here is a pic..

naread.exe

Number 1 Argo..and looky here in the pic as well you got a concentric slave you lucky boy..:devil:

The illuminated part to the left of your photo is obviously the clutch master cylinder.

I suspect the spring is just a pedal return spring.

Not sure if the switch is only fitted to cars equiped with cruise control (to disengage it) but could it need adjusting like the brake pedal switch especially if you put your boot under it.
Thank for that Dave but I'm embarrassed to say it wasn't that obvious to me.

There's a massive return spring at the furthest fulcrum point which I assumed was controlling the clutch (looks like a heavy duty clutch cable at first glance) but on taking a 2nd look I can see it's just a spring :eek:

The clutch switch (which looks to be wired) is too small to make the clunk/click which really only leaves the master cylinder :(

I'm sure I did get my boot stuck under the pedal and therefore pulled it up (something I'm careful never to do with the brake pedal ;))

I've thought of a perfect description of the click. If you imagine using a torque wrench to tighten rocker cover bolts then the load, feel and sound is identical to pushing the pedal (with your ear fairly close to it)

Do you reckon I should take the pedal out or is there some adjustment to the master cylinder I might have mucked up ?

Last edited:

I dont think you will find any form of adjustment on that Argo it unbolts on the engine side and would probably be connected to the pedal as well by some kind of clip so you would need to disconnect it there as well before you withdraw it..looking at the pic again it looks as tho its been running slightly off centre..you cant rebuild these parts nowadays like when we were younger..;) probably cant get the seals and stuff like what we did back in the dark ages..so it will be replacement only..if its that annoying..

I dont think you will find any form of adjustment on that Argo it unbolts on the engine side and would probably be connected to the pedal as well by some kind of clip so you would need to disconnect it there as well before you withdraw it.
As you say Phil, can't do much to the master cylinder from within the car but the pedal can be removed.

I thinking there's something odd with how the rod connects to the pedal but it's pretty much impossible to see behind it :bang:

The rod does look slightly off centre..maybe its become disengaged ..might be worth getting in there and having a look to see if all is connected correctly..I only had cause to go under there on one occasion and that was to look at those stupid damn bushes on either side of the brake pedal that swing left to right and click ..:bang: I remember at the time that I wish I had stuck to my diet before I did so..:D

I doubt if you can pull the rod out of the cylinder cos they are normally held in with a circlip

Last edited:

Thank for that Dave but I'm embarrassed to say it wasn't that obvious to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound (write?) patronizing(ly). :eek:

There's a massive return spring at the furthest fulcrum point which I assumed was controlling the clutch (looks like a heavy duty clutch cable at first glance) but on taking a 2nd look I can see it's just a spring :eek:

Are you sure it's a return spring? depending on where it's fulcrum and bearing points are, it could be a spring to assist with depressing the pedal.

The clutch switch (which looks to be wired) is too small to make the clunk/click which really only leaves the master cylinder :(

I'm sure I did get my boot stuck under the pedal and therefore pulled it up (something I'm careful never to do with the brake pedal ;))

Could this have moved the spring's bearing point on the pedal or mounting bracket? causing it to "click" in and out of position?

I've thought of a perfect description of the click. If you imagine using a torque wrench to tighten rocker cover bolts then the load, feel and sound is identical to pushing the pedal (with your ear fairly close to it)

You sure there's not a torque wrench jammed up under....... no forget that idea. :)

Do you reckon I should take the pedal out or is there some adjustment to the master cylinder I might have mucked up ?

I looked at my pedal a few months ago when I was trying to get extra travel on the master cylinder push rod. I thought it may cure the crunching I always get engaging first gear (it didn't work). There's no adjustment on the master cylinder or push rod. The push rod just rests between the plastic cup (item 7) and the master cylinder piston.

Could one of the plastic parts have broken, enabelling the push rod to jump through it when you press the pedal and causing the noise? That would tie up with PNL's observation that the push rod seems to be off center. Before I started playing with mine, I bought new plastic parts thinking they may break taking them out. They seem to be made of a brittle plastic.

Sorry, no answers, only suggestions.

Dave.

Last edited:
Physician heal thyself?

So.... which of the several suggestions in the now extended thread solved it for you?

I just did the contortionist trick to looked at mine again. The push rod goes into the master cylinder parallel to the cylinder, not at an angle like your photo. This would suggest/confirm that your problem is likely to be the push rod mounting on the pedal.

I couldn't see anything riveted to the pedal, as suggested in the earlier part of the thread. It looked like the rectangular plastic part just clips into the pedal.

Dave.

Phil, Here's a job for you (y)

Can you supply a part # for 6 and 7 ?

Still got the invoice from when I bought mine.

Part numbers are 46554494 £1.07 and 46554495 £0.74 in August 2008.

If you have trouble getting them, I still have my new ones but I think we have a postal strike in London at the moment.

I also noticed that mine has a long bolt and nut for the pedal pivot that goes through the brake and clutch pedal. Not the pin and clip (items 3 & 5) in the diagram.

Dave.

Last edited:
So.... which of the several suggestions in the now extended thread solved it for you?
Sorry Dave, didn't mean to belittle your last post.

My problem is EXACTLY as in early parts of this thread.

What's interesting is that the Clunk and Creak look like they may be the same issue (one poster suggested it might be the return spring causing the creak).

To get a clunk then the ball retainer must be broken and I strongly suspect this happens when drivers get their feet caught under the pedal!

Once I get this fixed then boots will be banned :)

Thanks for your help (y)

Still got the invoice from when I bought mine.

Part numbers are 46554494 £1.07 and 46554495 £0.74 in August 2008.

If you have trouble getting them, I still have my new ones but I think we have a postal strike in London at the moment.

I also noticed that mine has a long bolt and nut for the pedal pivot that goes through the brake and clutch pedal. Not the pin and clip (items 3 & 5) in the diagram.
Thanks Dave (y)

TI suggests it's a nightmare job so not looking forward to it :(

TI suggests it's a nightmare job so not looking forward to it :(

I think it's a nightmare job if you have the long bolt through the brake and clutch pedals. You would need to remove the accelerator pedal to get the bolt out. That's the reason I didn't go any further with mine.

If you have the pin and clip as in the diagram then I think it would be easier.

Dave.

I think it's a nightmare job if you have the long bolt through the brake and clutch pedals. You would need to remove the accelerator pedal to get the bolt out. That's the reason I didn't go any further with mine.
Mine is is the same (long bolt through clutch and brake pedal) but are you sure you'd need to remove accelerator - as in do you really need to remove the pedal completely :chin:

I've already removed the black plastic cage although can't get it past the rod of master cylinder. I think the white ball socket (which I'm certain is broken because I've seen bits of it on the carpet) could be removed if I could think of some way to keep the master cylinder rod locked down.

Bleed off the fluid maybe :chin:

Back