General Clutch hydraulics

Currently reading:
General Clutch hydraulics

My daughter reports the clutch pedal sticking down on the floor. We have had the creaky pedal action which I silenced by lubricating the release arm pivot and the slave cylinder. It appears all fine at the moment but I have decided to change both slave and master cylinders. Poking around eBay there was a blueprint master for £75 and a slave for around £45. I wnet to our local motarparts direct and discussed the price difference with their price and was offered trade so I have now an LUK master with the pipes and reservoir all full of fluid and a blue print slave albeit for 160 all in. Preferred the local supplier and available warranty and immediate delivery. Now for the long haul job of fitting while coping with recent surgery. Im hoping this is as straightforward as it looks! £40 is a lot of extra but Mtotparts have been very good regarding exchnages etc and dome me some good prices over the past few years. Prices still beat S4P on this occasion.

Yes, straightforward if replacing both together. Dealing with the quick release connector can be a different story, but you've avoided this. It's often worth paying a bit more for decent parts; you're already saving £££ by doing this yourself, and spending a little extra to make the job easier can prevent a lot of grief.

Fingers crossed that your recent surgery won't handicap you too much.

You'll already know this, but for others who might be reading, one thing that catches folks out is that there's not much fluid in the master reservoir, so frequent topping up is needed if you decide to play safe and bleed it.

When the clutch is sticking down, you have air in the system. The slave is almost always under pressure so very unlikely to pull air through the seals. The master however commonly pulls air through the seals. You can bleed the system. but when the problem returns, you'll need a new master cylinder.

The full set with new pipes is silly money and the (alleged) QD coupling often wont separate.

I fitted one of these. It's fast metal rather than flimsy welded steel tube. and under £40
The pressure pipe unplugs with a split pin and the reservoir is similarly easy.

Back