Technical Clutch Cable?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Cable?

Guerciotti

Hi all,

2016 Fiat 500 1.2 Left Hand Drive so it has a clutch cable rather than the hydraulic system.

Fitted a new clutch assembly about a year ago and have recently noticed that the clutch pedal sometimes becomes depressed (as in migrates towards the floor). Upon pressing it then rebounds to normal and then sometimes depresses again. Other times is normal. Changing gear is fine.

Any ideas what this could be? Maybe a sticky clutch cable...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi all,

2016 Fiat 500 1.2 Left Hand Drive so it has a clutch cable rather than the hydraulic system.

Fitted a new clutch assembly about a year ago and have recently noticed that the clutch pedal sometimes becomes depressed (as in migrates towards the floor). Upon pressing it then rebounds to normal and then sometimes depresses again. Other times is normal. Changing gear is fine.

Any ideas what this could be? Maybe a sticky clutch cable...?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sorry no specific knowledge on your model, but I would suggest first check the routing/direction of your clutch cable especially as you had a clutch fitted and may have disturbed it's position, if angles are sharp cable can stick as must be able to "flow" no tight angles etc.
The other thing is try a little WD40 or similar up around where the pedals pivot, you may need to wipe it off the pedals afterwards.
Had to do this on Daughters VW Tiguan which is hydraulic clutch but pedal was doing as you describe and it cured that one.
As most modern cables are plastic lined then a lubricant suitable for plastics is best to prevent causing more sticking.
Finally if none of that works, when it is sticking down a bit , check under the bonnet at the gearbox clutch release arm and see if the sticking is the cable or the pivot etc. inside the gearbox bell housing and replace as necessary.

Your experience does sound like air in a hydraulic system. A cable doing that would cause the clutch to slip. Are you certain that it has a clutch cable? I heard that Fiat went to hydraulic clutch release for RHD and LHD cars, but I can't find the evidence.

Does it depress by itself? Or does it not return fully after being depressed? No clues for first case. If second case something is sticking (clutch cable, release arm or release bearing on the tube around input shaft). This could cause your clutch to slip.

Are you certain that it has a clutch cable? I heard that Fiat went to hydraulic clutch release for RHD and LHD cars, but I can't find the evidence.

I was surprised as well. But all online parts sites only list hydraulic parts for RHD drive cars, so I think it's true 😊

Did you replace the cable? I have the same problem on my 1.3 Multijet LHD with 75k.

I was thinking the clutch needed bleeding and disassembled the battery and battery support just to find a cable :)

Fingers crossed is just the cable 🤞

My car has hydraulics, but It sounds like a sticking cable to me. Sticking clutch cables used to be common on motorbikes. The nylon lining wears internally and snags it.

My car has hydraulics, but It sounds like a sticking cable to me. Sticking clutch cables used to be common on motorbikes. The nylon lining wears internally and snags it.
Wonder if that's my gear selection issue, 6 months ago you couldn't select reverse, with rough handling is much easier now but still has resistance it's either internal box issue or cable, living with it for now

A worn clutch gets heavy to use but the gradual change creep up on us. It will first show as hard to select reverse. Eventually, you'll struggle with first gear and risk damaging the synchromesh.

With the engine and gearbox warmed up, start engine in neutral and listen to the clutch end. Now get a helper to work the clutch pedal up and down. If there's a rattle that goes away with the pedal down, you have a worn input bearing in the gearbox. Reverse gear is at that end of the box so could be affected. Depending on model of car, it's often wise to change that bearing when the clutch is renewed. It's always wise to change the oil seal.

Unclip the shifter cable at the gearbox (they pop off with a pry bar). The lever should feel like there's nothing connected.

Mine was the cable. New cable and all is good!
Actually it took also the part indicated as 3 in the image below, as it was damaged:

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 16.11.20.png

Does anyone know how the plastic part 16 works? I used it to fine tune the clutch but I don't fully understand it's function/operation.

Actually it took also the part indicated as 3 in the image below, as it was damaged:

View attachment 425741

Does anyone know how the plastic part 16 works? I used it to fine tune the clutch but I don't fully understand it's function/operation.
I don't know about on Fiat but some vehicles in the past had that arrangement which was a form of self adjuster mechanism with a spring inside the plastic barrel.

I don't know about on Fiat but some vehicles in the past had that arrangement which was a form of self adjuster mechanism with a spring inside the plastic barrel.
I imagine it is something like that, but I can't find any info on this.

Image from eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

Should it have a metal nut in the end, after the plastic "Thing"?

Last edited:
I imagine it is something like that, but I can't find any info on this.

Image from eBay:

View attachment 425750
Should it have a metal nut in the end, after the plastic "Thing"?
Don't know about the metal nut, but from old memory on BL Rovers if you did a clutch job you often had to fiddle around with the cable and plastic barrel bit, to reset it so the pedal/clutch operation worked correctly and the plastic mechanism was prone to failure.

Back