Technical No resistance in clutch pedal

Currently reading:
Technical No resistance in clutch pedal

LindfieldJmes

Hi all, so we have a 2016 Fiat 500 sport which was completely fine then out of the blue wouldn't go into gear and no resistance in the clutch pedal (wife stranded at supermarket).

After numerous pumps I managed to get the car into gear and drive it home, but that didn't work again, so I've changed the master and slave cylinder but still nothing, no resistance at all even after pumping the pedal numerous times.

No air is coming from the slave bleed nipple so I'm not sure what to do next? Anyone have any ideas? Anything is much appreciated as I can't get a mobile mechanic for several weeks (they're all booked up!).

Thanks

Hi all, so we have a 2016 Fiat 500 sport which was completely fine then out of the blue wouldn't go into gear and no resistance in the clutch pedal (wife stranded at supermarket).

After numerous pumps I managed to get the car into gear and drive it home, but that didn't work again, so I've changed the master and slave cylinder but still nothing, no resistance at all even after pumping the pedal numerous times.

No air is coming from the slave bleed nipple so I'm not sure what to do next? Anyone have any ideas? Anything is much appreciated as I can't get a mobile mechanic for several weeks (they're all booked up!).

Thanks
Have you just tried bleeding by pumping? Might need pressure or vacuum bleeding

Does the release arm - on the bell housing - move substantially when you depress the pedal? by which I mean more than just a couple of mm. If it doesn't then there's likely to still be air somewhere or, a very outside chance, that the new master cylinder is faulty. Hydraulic clutches in general can be temperamental to bleed. With the bleed nipple tightened, try pumping the pedal several times and finish with the pedal on the floor. With the pedal still on the floor release the bleed nipple - be ready for a spurt of fluid. Don't let the pedal return, so with the pedal still on the floor tighten the nipple and, quite slowly, let the pedal up again. Do it slowly so the master cylinder doesn't have the chance to suck air round the seal - doesn't need to be "super slow" though, just don't "dump" it. I've had clutches where I think there's been an air bubble which travels down the pipe a bit when the pedal is depressed and "floats" back again when you release the pedal - ie, it's shunting back and forwards. Often the above method of bleeding will get round this but sometimes you just need a goodly flow which can only really be achieved using a power bleeder.

Have you just tried bleeding by pumping? Might need pressure or vacuum bleeding
Thats right!- a stubborn air/fluid lock in the system is sometimes reluctant to push through with pedal action alone!- vacuum bleeding ensures you get full pressure straight away! worth trying this before investigating further!.
As if the system is fully pressurised and still not working then its likely the clutch will have to be striped out to investigate- as its likely a release bearing or pressure plate issue!

Back